Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where do I find printer driver for HP LaserJet 5MP to run on Catalina

My printer suddenly stopped printing and I tried to delete and reinstall but now it is saying that I don't have the best driver for it to operate optimally. I checked HP.com and they say the printer is old, OK,... its old, but it still runs. I just need to find a suitable driver Please help

It has Catalina OS 10.15.6

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 7:25 PM

Your printer isn't old, it's ancient!

Can the printer be seen in the System Preferences - Printers? If so the then reset the printing system per the directions in Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem. After you have done that please follow the instructions in Adding a printer? DO NOT install any HP software, if you have any installed please uninstall it.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2020 7:25 PM in response to gigi88inlv

Your printer isn't old, it's ancient!

Can the printer be seen in the System Preferences - Printers? If so the then reset the printing system per the directions in Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem. After you have done that please follow the instructions in Adding a printer? DO NOT install any HP software, if you have any installed please uninstall it.

Oct 14, 2020 8:02 PM in response to gigi88inlv

HP's LaserJet 5MP driver is unobtainium. Even if you were to find an installer, it will not work on Catalina. The only possible way that printer continued to work on your Mac was having upgraded from earlier macOS versions.

If you deleted the printer from Printers & Scanners or reset the printing system you may have deleted the only surviving copy of the driver it needs. Restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup created prior to uninstalling the printer driver. Then, investigate the reason the printer suddenly stopped working. The reason may be simple, or it may be that the printer finally expired.

Oct 15, 2020 3:47 AM in response to gigi88inlv

Hi,

Is the printer connected to a network (via an external Ethernet print server), or are you using a USB-to-parallel adapter for the parallel port? Which printer driver was used earlier (under which operating system version)?

The HP LaserJet 5MP supports enhanced PCL 5 and PostScript Level 2, so you may want to try the generic PCL and/or PostScript drivers, if necessary.

where do I find printer driver for HP LaserJet 5MP to run on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.