Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2018, 15 inch with touch bar suddenly turned off and wont turned back on

Out of nowhere, my mbp turned off and died without any pre-existing symptom. Service center said that the logic board need to be replaced. I really dont understand how an expensive piece of tech could failed and die just like that as I took care of the laptop meticulously. What is the underlying issue? Is it worth the expensive repair? Sadly i also learn here that my latest data also couldnt be salvage (if anybody here has any suggestion please do share!).. feeling so sad and frustrated Apple!

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 5:56 AM

Unfortunately, any electronic component can fail. Only you can decide if it's worth the repair cost. Since the SSDs are soldered to the logic board, you will lose your data if you have the Mac repaired (Apple can work with 3rd party data recovery services, but since your Mac has the T2 chip recovery is difficult if not impossible and regardless will be costly).

You should always have a backup! Preferably, more than one and preferably one that is not kept near your Mac. As you have seen, components fail. Theft can happen. Houses catch on fire. Life happens. Apple's Time Machine is an easy solution, built in, and requires only an external drive ~2-2.5x the size of your internally stored data (which should be no more than ~80% of your drive's capacity). A 1 TB external drive is <$75.

If you buy a new Mac, consider AppleCare+, if you had coverage your repair would be free.

Good luck!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2020 5:56 AM in response to MsMimi2020

Unfortunately, any electronic component can fail. Only you can decide if it's worth the repair cost. Since the SSDs are soldered to the logic board, you will lose your data if you have the Mac repaired (Apple can work with 3rd party data recovery services, but since your Mac has the T2 chip recovery is difficult if not impossible and regardless will be costly).

You should always have a backup! Preferably, more than one and preferably one that is not kept near your Mac. As you have seen, components fail. Theft can happen. Houses catch on fire. Life happens. Apple's Time Machine is an easy solution, built in, and requires only an external drive ~2-2.5x the size of your internally stored data (which should be no more than ~80% of your drive's capacity). A 1 TB external drive is <$75.

If you buy a new Mac, consider AppleCare+, if you had coverage your repair would be free.

Good luck!

Macbook Pro 2018, 15 inch with touch bar suddenly turned off and wont turned back on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.