Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Mac book pro battery replacement actually cost $600?

My macbook pro mid 2015 model had a bulged battery and was heating up and some funny smell, so I took it to a service centre and they removed the battery to prevent the battery from exploding or catching fire. Now the laptop works without battery by plugging in directly to the power. They are saying I need to pay $600 to get a new battery. Do macbook pro batteries cost that much ?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 8:42 AM

devasiajoseph wrote:

My macbook pro mid 2015 model had a bulged battery and was heating up and some funny smell, so I took it to a service centre and they removed the battery to prevent the battery from exploding or catching fire. Now the laptop works without battery by plugging in directly to the power. They are saying I need to pay $600 to get a new battery. Do macbook pro batteries cost that much ?

https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2020 8:42 AM in response to devasiajoseph

devasiajoseph wrote:

https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Oct 15, 2020 8:54 AM in response to devasiajoseph

Apple has been changing their serviceable parts for several years. They are moving to a model of fewer parts, each of which is more complex, on the theory that one spare part is now applicable to repair of several different failures, and so the total cost of spares across the company will be lower.

The repair part for your computer is likely to be the battery, keyboard, trackpad, and the metal top-plate to which all are assembled.

This make sense if you have purchased AppleCare PLUS, where your cost would simply be a co-payment of US$100.

This approach makes repairs where you pay out-of-pocket more expensive, but at least you can still get the computer repaired.

Oct 15, 2020 9:04 AM in response to devasiajoseph

The battery is not available as a separate item.

Apple feels the cost of maintaining, stocking, documenting, and training technicians to debug and repair separate battery, keyboard, trackpad and top-plate as individual spare parts is too high. They offer only the more complex module. It is the only spare assembly available.

Do Mac book pro battery replacement actually cost $600?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.