Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview will only download PDF's to "Download" file---from whence it came!

This just started. When I attempt to save a PDF I've viewed in Preview, I can only save it to my "Download" file (which is the file from which I retrieved the document) .

The only other file I can even enter from My Files is Applications. Nothing happens when I click on "My Documents" which is of course where I wish to store the document.

I don't think the file is password protected, although it is a copy of a HIPAA compliant fax generated by Doximity.

Please help!

If I just uninstall Preview, can I re-install it easily?

Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 1:38 PM

Not back-arrow, but the following character:

If you are using Spotlight, and have its System Preferences : Spotlight : Search Results : [√] PDF Documents selected, then you can Narrow your searches on PDF documents:

Find any PDF created on or after June 1, 2020 that is tagged with a custom, case-insensitive Finder tag named "medical pdf."

kind:pdf created:>=06/01/2020 tag:"medical pdf"

Find any PDF that you have accessed today and whose name contains the case-insensitive string "fax":

kind:pdf date:today name:fax

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2020 1:38 PM in response to lbandrew

Not back-arrow, but the following character:

If you are using Spotlight, and have its System Preferences : Spotlight : Search Results : [√] PDF Documents selected, then you can Narrow your searches on PDF documents:

Find any PDF created on or after June 1, 2020 that is tagged with a custom, case-insensitive Finder tag named "medical pdf."

kind:pdf created:>=06/01/2020 tag:"medical pdf"

Find any PDF that you have accessed today and whose name contains the case-insensitive string "fax":

kind:pdf date:today name:fax

Oct 15, 2020 10:45 AM in response to lbandrew

You cannot remove Preview as it is installed by the operating system and resides on a read-only partition. That PDF containing HIPAA compliant content should be protected from changes by the secure nature of the content. If you single-click that PDF in the Finder, and then press option+command+i, what does the security field state on that resulting panel?

Oct 15, 2020 10:52 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks, Viking,

It says Security: None. Hmmm.

However, I may have solved the problem.

I had a BUNCH of documents open in Preview (which I'm using in lieu of Adobe because of the superior editing features). I am researching something and tend to pile them up until I can read them all uninterrupted.

I tried quitting Preview dozens of times and it wouldn't quit.

But something clicked; because suddenly all of my open documents disappeared from my sidebar, and THEN I could Export as PDF in the usual manner to any file.

Of course, all of my reading for the day is now disappeared!

So this must have something to do with Preview's document capacity. Although I can't imagine how saving copies exclusively to Download would in any way help the system to avoid overload.

Is there a workaround so that I can continue to acquire and file documents but be able to actually read and annotate them later?

Thanks!

Oct 15, 2020 11:55 AM in response to lbandrew

I usually open PDF documents on an as needed basis, and mostly one at a time. If I do open multiple PDF, then I cycle between the open documents using ⌘+` (back tick) to be certain which one I am currently viewing.

Because Preview (or Adobe Reader) must decompress the PDF to view them, having several open concurrently could eat substantial RAM, again depending on the original size of the PDF, and what other applications you are also running.

You can always open and annotate a PDF later, provided it has no user change restrictions placed on it.

Oct 15, 2020 11:59 AM in response to VikingOSX

OK< I guess this is a helpful technique that works for you. By Back tick do you mean the left arrow?

I use Clean My Mac, and got no indication at any time I was running low on RAM.

My problem with using your method is that I need to label and file the document immediately so as not to lose it if I have a crash or power outage. However, I can't always remember where I filed (or that I filed) a document to try to get back to it when I have time to review in depth. So simply filing it away means that I may never find it again or remember to review it.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

Oct 15, 2020 2:09 PM in response to VikingOSX

OK, thanks again, this is helpful. I did have to consult my hubby as to the name of this key. He owns Font Lab and gave me some other official name (that I promptly forgot), but no matter. I will try this technique!

So, you introduced another new concept to me, that is "Spotlight".

From the icon on the System Preferences page it looks like this may be the same as the "search" window I find at the top right of "My Documents", or really any collection of files? So I have followed your advice to limit my selections based on most often used. Let's see if that helps me to find things.

After all, what good is a peripheral brain if you still have to use the full output of your internal brain to get what you want?

I am hopeful that with this combination of techniques, my problem may be solved.

And for others facing the same issue, the take home learning is probably some version of "don't pile up mass numbers of PDFs for future perusal using Preview. He is an old man, who may get cranky and refuse to cooperate further in your little scheme."

Thanks again, Viking for your help. My ancestors were Nordic (Swedes). Very dependable.

Preview will only download PDF's to "Download" file---from whence it came!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.