Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iphone "iphone" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (4000).

I use my itunes to update my iphone 8plus software. but today it showed a pop-up message saying :

I restart my phone and its still the same. my itunes is up to date when i checked it.

i'm using a Windows 10 laptop.

This is the first that happened.

no i did not try updating using my phone.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 3:35 PM

Hey grimcharmer,

Thanks for asking Apple Support Communities about the issue you're having while trying to update your iPhone using iTunes. Be sure your iPhone is unlocked when you start the update. If the issue continues, take a look at the tips and steps in the following guides:

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

iOS update and restore errors

If the issue continues, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly. They can be reached here: Contact Apple Support

Thanks again, and have a wonderful day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 3:35 PM in response to grimcharmer

Hey grimcharmer,

Thanks for asking Apple Support Communities about the issue you're having while trying to update your iPhone using iTunes. Be sure your iPhone is unlocked when you start the update. If the issue continues, take a look at the tips and steps in the following guides:

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

iOS update and restore errors

If the issue continues, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly. They can be reached here: Contact Apple Support

Thanks again, and have a wonderful day!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.