Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Audio level

Hi Folks,

I have just returned to iMovie having been away for a while (the nature of my question may tell you just how long)

Last time I used iMovie I was able to adjust the audio level in the middle of a clip - eg. begin the clip loud drop the volume in the middle to maybe cut out the sound of a passing lorry or something and then return to full volume for the rest of the clip.

Now I find I can only adjust the whole clip or fade in/out at the ends.

Is this the case, or am I missing something or maybe just being clumsy with how I drag the line?

Many thanks,

David

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 4:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 11:56 AM

No. The Show Waveforms box, when checked, will show the waveforms and volume adjustment line in the blue bar for the video clips, just the same as it shows them for the green background music clips -- provided, of course, that there is audio in the video clip.

If it seems like ticking the Show Waveforms box is just turning on and off the blue bar, then there is either no audio in the video clip, or the audio in the clip has been manually muted and therefore not showing waveforms.

-- Rich

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2020 11:56 AM in response to David Gee1

No. The Show Waveforms box, when checked, will show the waveforms and volume adjustment line in the blue bar for the video clips, just the same as it shows them for the green background music clips -- provided, of course, that there is audio in the video clip.

If it seems like ticking the Show Waveforms box is just turning on and off the blue bar, then there is either no audio in the video clip, or the audio in the clip has been manually muted and therefore not showing waveforms.

-- Rich

Oct 17, 2020 8:18 AM in response to David Gee1

Another way to lower the volume of a portion of the clip is to hold down the "r" key while press dragging your cursor over the portion of the clip on which you want to lower the volume. A yellow box will appear outlining the region over which you dragged. Put your cursor on the horzontal volume line in the yellow box area and press drag it downward to lower the volume only in the region in the square box.

--- Rich

iMovie Audio level

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.