Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the iPhone 12 Pro support aptX HD?

Hello,

Does the IPhone 12 Pro support aptX HD Bluetooth codec? I have some Nura Headphones and want to use them to their full potential.

Thanks

Mark

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 10:24 PM

So here's the thing. There's a lot of buzz and snake oil out there about bluetooth codecs. In a blind taste test, you'd be hard pressed to hear any difference at all honestly. Both codecs support 24bit and 48khz which are the two biggest factors you want in a wireless codec. The only difference is that AAC tops out at 320kbps whereas aptX HD can hit 570kbps.

Now while that might sound like a big difference, I urge you to do a hearing test such as this or this. If a song has been mixed and mastered well, even a professional audiophile can have a hard time hearing the difference between 190, 256, and 320. The single most important part of what we listen to is the distortion within the mix. If there's distortion, the bitrate doesn't matter. Basically clean is clean.

I have the Nura's as well and I've listened to them in aptX HD and AAC. This is entirely subjective, but in a blind test they sounded identical to me. You know what sounded spectacular though? Hard-lining those suckers with the USB cable. Which brings me to my final point: we're comparing bluetooth codecs, which after a certain point is a bit like comparing deck chairs on the Titanic. Bluetooth is the great bottleneck and regardless of how good you think HD will sound, it still won't sound as good as a simple hard-line.

Long story short: don't feel like you're missing out. Enjoy the awesome headphones.

Edit: all that preamble and I never actually answered your question about the iPhone 12. I don't see it apt listed anywhere on the specs. I also doubt Apple would ever pay to license aptX HD while they have AAC.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2020 10:24 PM in response to markiepoos

So here's the thing. There's a lot of buzz and snake oil out there about bluetooth codecs. In a blind taste test, you'd be hard pressed to hear any difference at all honestly. Both codecs support 24bit and 48khz which are the two biggest factors you want in a wireless codec. The only difference is that AAC tops out at 320kbps whereas aptX HD can hit 570kbps.

Now while that might sound like a big difference, I urge you to do a hearing test such as this or this. If a song has been mixed and mastered well, even a professional audiophile can have a hard time hearing the difference between 190, 256, and 320. The single most important part of what we listen to is the distortion within the mix. If there's distortion, the bitrate doesn't matter. Basically clean is clean.

I have the Nura's as well and I've listened to them in aptX HD and AAC. This is entirely subjective, but in a blind test they sounded identical to me. You know what sounded spectacular though? Hard-lining those suckers with the USB cable. Which brings me to my final point: we're comparing bluetooth codecs, which after a certain point is a bit like comparing deck chairs on the Titanic. Bluetooth is the great bottleneck and regardless of how good you think HD will sound, it still won't sound as good as a simple hard-line.

Long story short: don't feel like you're missing out. Enjoy the awesome headphones.

Edit: all that preamble and I never actually answered your question about the iPhone 12. I don't see it apt listed anywhere on the specs. I also doubt Apple would ever pay to license aptX HD while they have AAC.

Jan 1, 2021 7:43 AM in response to sonsofevil

I agree that it ***** that Apple won’t just license aptX to make things easier for those with Bluetooth audio devices that don’t support AAC over Bluetooth. However, I do also understand where they are coming from - they’ve made something better and want us to use that - AirPlay which will pipe lossless sound - yes, lossless - over nearly any connection and it’s superior in other ways too (metadata).

[Edited by Moderator]

Dec 6, 2020 3:48 AM in response to icarusington

If you search for the AAC Codec Quality via Bluetooth in Google ist Shows its topped at 250-265 kbit/s. So in my opinion you are wrong.

My whole ITunes Media is at 320 kbit/s so when i stream Media from my new, expansive iPhone 12 to a Bluetooth Box or headphones the quality will ne reduced. If not, just Show me please a source.

The AAC Codec in General supports 320kbit/s at 24bit up to 96 khz, but NOT over Bluetooth.

APTX Supports via Bluetooth 352 kbit/s and with APTX HD 576 kbit/s at 24bit at 48 kHz.

so in you want to enjoy your music Library via Bluetooth in high quality, just dont buy an iPhone (included up to the iPhone 12 pro)).

aaaand please dont tell other people if they can hear the difference between 192, 256 and 320 kbit/s! ❤️

Maybe you should visit your next music concert reduced to 192 kbit/s audio quality

Best regards

(an in this Point disappointed iPhone 12 owner)

Jan 1, 2021 2:21 PM in response to icarusington

dunno if you're joking but I think the AirPods line and the H1 (or is it W1) enabled Beats models are the closest we'll ever get - but you're right, in that it's not strictly AirPlay (it's not lossless redbook audio for a start). Come to think of it, the idea that they're using lossy AAC with the AirPods Max is perverse, I wonder if they found a way of upping the bitrate. I bet they haven't. No wonder they didn't call them "Pro Max" haha

Feb 17, 2021 9:46 AM in response to icarusington

Very well said, I just bought a iphone 12 pro max and feed bluetooth on a BT receiver that accpet APTxHD and it sound just fantastic, I don`t know what codecs iphone use but I can assure you it sound extremely well a HD bluetooth unit feeding a 845 tube amp. My some of my files are 24/48 and I don`t really care what is goind on in term of digial rate and blab lablabla the sound is just so good.

Feb 18, 2021 8:19 AM in response to sonsofevil

It is very sad people judging sound by numbers. I was also a little bit like that. Couples weeks ago I was listening to some hi Rez tracks with my super android audio devices sending it proudly in aptxHD in my not cheap sound system, then my girlfriend wanted to send some of her songs with her iPhone 11. I said well ok let’s listen to that lowfi Bluetooth !!! Lol....Well it sounded amazing ! Enough for me to purshase a iPhone pro max.

I read some articles saying which sound better based on bit rates and ext etc...lol do people have ears ??? Can they just forget about but rate and listen ???? And then make judgment ?

when I want to listen to high quality audio I use vinyl with poor dynamic range high background noise poor stereo separation and some distortion and It sound Amazing it feel like the artists are in the room.

Feb 18, 2021 9:41 AM in response to sylvain254

RE: it sounded better using lower resolution BT from an IPHONE-12.

Did you compare using the same audio tracks, because different audio tracks can have dramatically different sound quality?

My iPhone 11 sounds OK via Bluetooth to my stereo, but many/most people with nice sound systems are borderline obsessive about tweaking it to sound better. Shame on Apple for not giving us/me modern BT with their $1200 flagship iPhone.

Feb 18, 2021 10:28 AM in response to Qrumpel

Yes the same track it is extremely important a agree. My phone is iPhone 12 Pro Max , blue tooth receiver is blueDento HD coax out to Neko 100 mk2 dac feeding a antique lab ASL 845 tube amp to some custom audio Nirvana speakers. My other phone is LG V50 (not bad at all) the eq on that phone is fantastic btw. Yes feeding hq amazon music is excellent and it is full and meaty lush but with iPhone the mids are more real to me the bass is snappy and tight it might give the impression of tightness that I find very musical. Btw I listen to jazz rock blues and sometimes some modern or old pop. That’s me ! One thing clear is Apple Music sound better on my pro max , better than my old iPad can’t explain that !

Does the iPhone 12 Pro support aptX HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.