Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slowdown, Beachballing, Safari

Suddenly yesterday, upon waking the iMac, everything was beachballing, completely slowing down, and when I tried to open Safari, it would only connect over wi-fi, despite Ethernet connectivity confirmed.

Having tried many things (reset NVRAM & SMC, shutdown & restart in Safe mode, etc.), I am now beyond my grade level. I will attach the EtreCheck report & hope that someone with much more expertise can give me some hope. I do have alternating Time Machine backups on duplicate external drives.

Many thanks in advance,

Barbara

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 7:42 AM

Make a New Location for Ethernet, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2020 7:42 AM in response to bjy2011

Make a New Location for Ethernet, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Oct 17, 2020 12:02 PM in response to bjy2011

Uninstall CleanMyMac per their directions , then run etrecheck again to see what chaff it left...

On CMM…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251370955?answerId=252661013022#252661013022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251442443?answerId=252814053022#252814053022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251464557?answerId=252841819022#252841819022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251889446?answerId=253629452022#253629452022

Did this happen after the 2020-005 SecUpd for Mojave?

Try reinstalling this in Safe Mode, but not using Firefox...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?mt=12

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup).

Seems to fix about 90& of the problems.

Oct 17, 2020 2:29 PM in response to BDAqua

I did uninstall CMM, ran etreCheck again, made sure that the launch daemons, etc, were all gone, restarted in Safe Mode. I am now restarted again, with Safari still not opening via Ethernet, only on wifi connection.... and yes, this all happened after the 2020-005 security update for Mojave...

so did you mean that I should reinstall Mojave with the link you provided?

Thanks,

Barbara

Oct 17, 2020 6:46 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes, the Mojave reinstall did get me back to Build 18G103, and that certainly speeded things up. I did delete all links to CMM and Macpaw.

However, the Safari issue still lives: Safari will open but will not go to my home page or anywhere else when the prime service selected is the Ethernet hardwire connection (via Comcast) .... if I change the internet access to wifi (also Comcast, of course), then my home page will open as well as any other pages.

It's strange - I don't think it could be a Comcast issue, since the network configuration shows that the Ethernet is connected, with all IP address, masks, servers, etc. are correct as far as I can tell.

You've certainly been responsive & helpful thus far; any further thoughts ?

Appreciate your ideas & grateful for your time.

Oct 19, 2020 8:33 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua,

Wow ... it's all good now! new configuration worked perfectly & Safari opens via Ethernet connection.

Your help has been terrific... for my own understanding, can you give me a quick explanation on the fix/why 'original' configuration went dead? Is this due to the 2020-05 Security update for Mojave? And should I delete the default Comcast Ethernet configuration that died?

As a follow-on, I haven't upgraded to Catalina (and now Big Sur is coming) because in the past, I've experienced "unexpected" - that is, very unfortunate - consequences (particularly when iPhoto was disappeared & replaced by Photos). Any rumors or suggestions about nasty surprises with Catalina upgrade - before I even consider Big Sur during the next several months?

Thanks again for saving me - really appreciate your patience & help.

Barbara

Slowdown, Beachballing, Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.