Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Update Bricked MacBook Air Late 2012

Trying to diagnose a MacBook Air which no longer recognizes its hard drive. Seems linked to an attempt recently to update to Catalina is the cause. I can run the internet recovery. I've tried resetting the NVRAM and PRAM to no avail. I've tried booting from an external bootable 32GB Thumb and a 500GB bootable SSD. The internal drive just never shows up as an installable option. Bricked. Corrupted EFI likely.

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 1:13 AM

In addition to Kappy's great advice and based on what you're describing it looks like the hard drive has failed. It's very unlikely that (a) the upgrade (not update) to Catalina "bricked" it and (b) the EFI has been corrupted.

Explore the options given here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/repair

You should be able to get the HD replaced with a clean OS installed for a reasonable fee. Hopefully you've not suffered too much data loss and you've kept regular back-ups?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2020 1:13 AM in response to mkochsch

In addition to Kappy's great advice and based on what you're describing it looks like the hard drive has failed. It's very unlikely that (a) the upgrade (not update) to Catalina "bricked" it and (b) the EFI has been corrupted.

Explore the options given here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/repair

You should be able to get the HD replaced with a clean OS installed for a reasonable fee. Hopefully you've not suffered too much data loss and you've kept regular back-ups?

Oct 17, 2020 8:26 PM in response to mkochsch

Do you have a question? Please read Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question. We are here to help. We are all users. We are not mind-readers nor clairvoyants. We only know what you write down and tell us. Be specific and thorough. Try to write clearly. Think about what you want to say before you write it down, then re-read it to see if it makes sense. We need the following at a minimum:

• What specific product model do you have? Avoid just saying, "iPhone or Mac," because that doesn't describe it uniquely.
  • Tell us the version of iOS or Mac OS that you have installed on your machine.
  • Provide a short but complete summary of your question, problem, or issue. (No complaints, please.)
  • Give us all the details of your question, problem, or issue. Make your descriptions clear and precise but don't be wordy. Like Joe Friday used to say, "Just the facts." Be sure you provide any other details that we should know.
  • Detail what you have tried, so far, to solve your problem even if it's "nothing."
  • Provide images/snapshots appropriate to your descriptions. Pictures are worth 1,000 words.

Note: If English is not your native language, please let us know. Perhaps you would be better served by posting in your native language. If you do, then understand that getting a reply may take more time. Most of the helpers are native English speakers but some of us are bi- or multi-lingual. Unfortunately, English is my only language. I am able to use translators if I know what your native language is. However, I will be slower in responding.

FYI: These are user-only communities. This is not Apple Support. if you need to contact Apple Support, then contact product and tech supportContacting Apple for support and service includes international calling numbers.

The Apple Support Communities only provides help for users of Apple products. Apple does not read theae forums. If you wish to provide feedback to Apple, then go to Apple Feedback. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Catalina Update Bricked MacBook Air Late 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.