Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I prevent TextEdit from starting each line with an uppercase character

In TextEdit, if I type a lowercase character as the first character on a line, it is converted to uppercase. The only way I have found to make it lowercase is to retype it. This is annoying and I would expect some way of telling TextEdit to preserve what I type, not automatically make changes that it thinks I intended, but did not.

Such a mechanism is usually in preferences. However, TextEdit 's preferences does not supply that capability. So, it there some other way to make TextEdit do what I want? If not, is there a better 3rd party tool I can use, instead of TextEdit that does what I want, and perhaps provide additional functionality? If so, I'll just delete Apple's TextEdit and create a link to the 3rd party tool and call it TextEdit.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 6:42 PM

Try this: Go to System Preferences > Keyboard:

Uncheck "Capitalize words automatically."

That will affect all apps.

If you are coding, a lot of code monsters use bbEdit.

Similar questions

1 reply

How can I prevent TextEdit from starting each line with an uppercase character

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.