Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit doesn't flatten rich text

One of the disappointing changes in this ARM OS from the Intel OS is that TextEdit does no longer strip styles from dropped or pasted text into a plain text document. I had always used a *.txt scratch sheet all the time to drop text into to strip styles but that doesn't work now. Of course, if I close the document and reopen it suddenly it is now plain text, but that is too much trouble. Does anyone know if this is inadvertent or permanent? Is there a TextEdit setting to force unstyled text?

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 10:28 AM

Gnarlodious wrote:

One of the disappointing changes in this ARM OS from the Intel OS is that TextEdit does no longer strip styles from dropped or pasted text. I used to use a scratch sheet all the time to drop text onto to strip styles but that doesn't work now. Of course, if I close the document and reopen it suddenly it is now plain text. Does anyone know if this is inadvertent or permanent? Is there a TextEdit setting to force unstyled text?

Sounds more like a bug...

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

In TextEdit>Settings I leave plain.txt as the default and use the keyboard short cuts if I need to convert a document

Shift Command T to rich text.

.txt plain text

.rtf rich text

.rtfd rich text when you include an image

TextEdit User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.0.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2022 10:28 AM in response to Gnarlodious

Gnarlodious wrote:

One of the disappointing changes in this ARM OS from the Intel OS is that TextEdit does no longer strip styles from dropped or pasted text. I used to use a scratch sheet all the time to drop text onto to strip styles but that doesn't work now. Of course, if I close the document and reopen it suddenly it is now plain text. Does anyone know if this is inadvertent or permanent? Is there a TextEdit setting to force unstyled text?

Sounds more like a bug...

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

In TextEdit>Settings I leave plain.txt as the default and use the keyboard short cuts if I need to convert a document

Shift Command T to rich text.

.txt plain text

.rtf rich text

.rtfd rich text when you include an image

TextEdit User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.0.1

TextEdit doesn't flatten rich text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.