My textedit is not working right. How do I fix or replace it?

When I copy a page from a pdf and try to paste it onto a textedit page I get a big black dot in front of each new line of text, or in between lines of text. How do I fix it, or replace textedit app.?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 10:58 AM

Also, any way to delete existing TextEdit and download new one?

No, requires a complete OS reinstall to get a new Text Edit.

Copy the Text that nerds be in RTF style & paste int a new Text Edit doc.

13 replies

Aug 4, 2023 8:25 AM in response to nu2computing

Hmmm, looks like they prefer PDF..

File guidelines

Manuscript

• Bleed: If your book has images or elements that bleed to the edges of your pages, you must upload your manuscript as a PDF.
  • No Bleed: If your book does not contain bleed, you can upload your manuscript as a PDF, DOC, DOCX, RTF, HTML, or TXT file. KDP will automatically convert these file types to PDF prior to publishing/printing.
  • Note: For Japanese, Hebrew, Latin or Yiddish, you can only upload PDF.

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201857950#:~:text=Bleed%3A%20If%20your%20book%20has,%2C%20HTML%2C%20or%20TXT%20file.

Aug 4, 2023 6:55 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for responding. That idea scares me. I'm not all that tech savvy. I tried opening a new rtf file and copy/pasting a couple of chapters into it from the PDF - one page at a time to avoid having the file change to RTFD because I'm trying to publish in Amazon and it won't take an RTFD file. It worked. No black dots. So, I'm thinking the black dots only start showing up after the RTF reaches a certain length. Then I tried copying the first RTF and pasting it in a page above what I had written in the second RTF. Everything from the first RTF had black dots when pasted above the existing text in the second RTF, but everything in the second RTF below what I pasted did not have black dots.

Do you know of any way to convert a PDF file to RTF form?

Aug 4, 2023 8:06 AM in response to nu2computing

Part 1 - Thanks for responding. That idea scares me. I'm not all that tech savvy. I tried opening a new rtf file and copy/pasting a couple of chapters into it from the PDF - one page at a time to avoid having the file change to RTFD because I'm trying to publish in Amazon and it won't take an RTFD file. It worked. No black dots. So, I'm thinking the black dots only start showing up after the RTF reaches a certain length. (see part 2)

Aug 4, 2023 8:13 AM in response to BDAqua

Part 2 - Next I copied the pages of the 1st RTF and pasted them one page before the the existing pages in the 2d RTF. The pasted pages all had black dots, but the pages that were already in the 2d RTF didn't. ??? Two questions - is there a way to convert a PDF to RTF, and is there a way to delete my current Mac TextEdit and download a new one? Thanks.

Aug 4, 2023 8:44 AM in response to BDAqua

They require a PDF of the book in order to produce a paperback version, and an RTF (but not an RTFD) of the book in order to produce an eBook version. I already uploaded the PDF - now I need to upload an RTF. (Yes, I originally wrote it in RTF and converted it to PDF, but lost the RTF so I need now to convert the RTF back to PDF). Also, any way to delete existing TextEdit and download new one?

Aug 4, 2023 2:51 PM in response to BDAqua

FYI - I copied the entire PDF one more time - in one click - and pasted it all in one click to a new RTF, and for some strange reason it came out intact, not in RTFD form, and with no black dots. Go figure. Now I am going through the RTF and cleaning it up for eBook publication. So far, so good. Thank you for taking the time and effort to work with me on this.

My textedit is not working right. How do I fix or replace it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.