Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

why won't textedit issue not been fixed after at least two years

Since 2020 posts have appeared recounting an issue with TextEdit not saving after re-editing a TextEdit file.

I now have a new M1 mac with an identical problem and work around it by using libre-office to open and save those text files...it saves back to the original file any edits that you may carry out, same when using Pages etc.

But, and here is the concern I have, is why hasn't Apple provided a software fix. I mean for goodness sake they have huge software resources and it's clear to me this problem shouldn't have continued for so long.

Although the application is Open Source, it is bundled with the Mac so Apple hierarchy have an obligation to investigate and deal with the problem, but so far nothing. I seriously wonder if Steve Jobs would have allowed such apparent disinterest.

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 10:13 AM

dogalog wrote:

Since 2020 posts have appeared recounting an issue with TextEdit not saving after re-editing a TextEdit file.
I now have a new M1 mac with an identical problem and work around it by using libre-office to open and save those text files...it saves back to the original file any edits that you may carry out, same when using Pages etc.

But, and here is the concern I have, is why hasn't Apple provided a software fix. I mean for goodness sake they have huge software resources and it's clear to me this problem shouldn't have continued for so long.

The Apple product teams do not participate in these user-supported communities, posts complaining about product issues are not seen by them, and unless multiple people have sent the product explicit cases of broken functionality, it goes unreported and nothing changes.

Although the application is Open Source, it is bundled with the Mac so Apple hierarchy have an obligation to investigate and deal with the problem, but so far nothing. I seriously wonder if Steve Jobs would have allowed such apparent disinterest.

TextEdit is not open source and LibreOffice is not bundled by Apple in the operating system. Apple product teams decide what their bug fix workload is based on product feedback from beta testers and end users per the above submission process. Don't confuse disinterest with deadline driven workloads and very long work weeks.

I just opened a blank TextEdit document. Set its format to Rich Text and pasted three paragraphs of text into it. I then saved the document, and saving it is crucial to its autosave working, before removing a paragraph. I then used Quick Look on that saved (edited) TextEdit document on my Desktop and the changes were immediately shown.

That refutes your premise that TextEdit has autosave issues unless you are using a filesystem unsupported by autosave.

Tested: Ventura 13.5.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2023 10:13 AM in response to dogalog

dogalog wrote:

The Apple product teams do not participate in these user-supported communities, posts complaining about product issues are not seen by them, and unless multiple people have sent the product explicit cases of broken functionality, it goes unreported and nothing changes.

TextEdit is not open source and LibreOffice is not bundled by Apple in the operating system. Apple product teams decide what their bug fix workload is based on product feedback from beta testers and end users per the above submission process. Don't confuse disinterest with deadline driven workloads and very long work weeks.

I just opened a blank TextEdit document. Set its format to Rich Text and pasted three paragraphs of text into it. I then saved the document, and saving it is crucial to its autosave working, before removing a paragraph. I then used Quick Look on that saved (edited) TextEdit document on my Desktop and the changes were immediately shown.

That refutes your premise that TextEdit has autosave issues unless you are using a filesystem unsupported by autosave.

Tested: Ventura 13.5.

Aug 6, 2023 4:20 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your reply Viking.

Perhaps we are not talking about the same issue, vis a vis TextEdit autosave not functioning and ‘permission’ error messages occurring when trying to save a file after first editing the text.

My concern does not relate to autosave. Unfortunately, I did not make that clear in my heading so my apologies for that.

You have taken issue with my comment of TextEdit being open source, however

according to Wikipedia, “Textedit” is licensed with GNU which is a basis for the open source license. You may care to check it out yourself. Here is a link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TextEdit

Also, you mentioned that Libreoffice was not bundled with MacOS, clearly it can only be obtained from a source other than Apple, so it’s fairly obvious that it’s not bundled with the Mac.

Your comments regarding complaint processes with Apple suggest to me that over the last couple of years there have most probably been formal complaints re Textedit having issues along the lines you mention, at least judging by user posts across several internet websites.

I certainly agree that Apple software gurus work hard at their profession and most likely tolerate interminable deadlines etc, but of course most of us have similar problems at one time or another.

I have spent years working in a public hospital and at times praying that I am not going to make a mistake that would cost lives so I understand the meaning of stress and burn out. So, please don’t lecture me on confusing disinterest with deadlines and heavy workloads. Being on call 24/7 for weeks at a time is another thing entirely, not being made easier by the disinterest of administration.

I paid a pile of money for the mac, expecting things to work and if not then some attention would be given to fixing problems. To be sure the limitations of that expectation is of course narrow, and I certainly understand that. For many years there was a common mantra describing Apple computers…”they just work…”. And to a large extent that is true today. However things do go awry, that is the nature of technology. Also technology enables rapid dissemination of information, however a company that does not pay attention to their consumer comments, be that via social networks or community forums is to my mind indicating a disinterest in customer service.

Having said all that, many thanks for your interest and comments.

Aug 6, 2023 4:42 PM in response to dogalog

dogalog wrote:

Perhaps we are not talking about the same issue, vis a vis TextEdit autosave not functioning and ‘permission’ error messages occurring when trying to save a file after first editing the text.

My concern does not relate to autosave. Unfortunately, I did not make that clear in my heading so my apologies for that.

You'll have to describe what you are talking about. I'm unaware of any major bug with TextEdit. But I don't really use it. It was always just a demo app. Apple provides Pages for actual word processing. But you can use whatever you want.

You have taken issue with my comment of TextEdit being open source, however
according to Wikipedia, “Textedit” is licensed with GNU which is a basis for the open source license.

Apple hasn't published the source for TextEdit in almost a decade. It was never licensed with GNU. Apple and GNU have been bitter enemies for many years.

why won't textedit issue not been fixed after at least two years

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.