No save prompt when closing TextEdit after edits

It used to be that if I made edits to a TextEdit file, then when closing the app, it would ask if I want to save those changes if I hadn't saved it yet. However, now it just automatically saves, as if assuming I wanted to keep the edits. The thing is, very often I make edits and then decide I don't want to save those edits, which is why the save prompt was useful, critical even. Apparently there used to be a setting in System Settings that would bring back the original behavior, but it seems it's no longer there. Please advise. macOS 13.4.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 9:21 AM

The setting you want is still there, just not where you might expect to find it! Open System Settings, In the left sidebar click on "Desktop & Dock", and go down to the section "Windows & Apps". Here the second item will give you what you want. Hope this helps you!

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 15, 2023 10:09 AM in response to Ian Leckie

Thanks for that information. I would never have found it.

However, with Text Edit, there is a bug even with that setting turned off. Text Edit will save any changes no matter what. I have lost & corrupted information because of it. I just confirmed the issue still exists with Ventura 13.4....I've seen it as far back as 10.15 Catalina. I have all auto save features turned off including the one you noted here for Ventura.

No save prompt when closing TextEdit after edits

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.