Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

open auto-saved file

I get a pop-up dialog whenever I start a particular app (Live Home 3D) that uselessly asks me if I want to open the auto-saved file that I just double-clicked on. This doesn't happen if the app is already running. Of course, I asked the app developers how to turn that off. They replied "Please note this is a system feature and works similarly across all apps". (I've never seen this happen with other apps.)

I'm using Big Sur, v11.3.1. System Prefs > General > ask to keep changes when closing documents is set to On (but I'm in the habit of saving manually and often anyway), and the app's own pref setting Autosave modified projects every x minutes is set to Off, but apparently it ignores this setting when you close the app.

Can someone confirm this is an automatic and unchangeable system-wide feature? And if not, is there maybe a command I can type into Terminal to stop it happening with this particular app?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 8:56 AM

Rob Stevenson wrote:

Can someone confirm this is an automatic and unchangeable system-wide feature?

Obviously this is only a bug in that one particular app. Try the next setting in System Preferences > General > "Close windows when quitting an app". You will need to re-launch the app once, get the bug, and then close the app. Hopefully, the next time you run it, you won't get the bug anymore.

Another option that isn't a system-wide setting would be to hold down the shift key when launching the app. It may be possible the app is just confused somehow and if you do this once, it could fix it forever. Note that I said "possible". 😄

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2021 8:56 AM in response to Rob Stevenson

Rob Stevenson wrote:

Can someone confirm this is an automatic and unchangeable system-wide feature?

Obviously this is only a bug in that one particular app. Try the next setting in System Preferences > General > "Close windows when quitting an app". You will need to re-launch the app once, get the bug, and then close the app. Hopefully, the next time you run it, you won't get the bug anymore.

Another option that isn't a system-wide setting would be to hold down the shift key when launching the app. It may be possible the app is just confused somehow and if you do this once, it could fix it forever. Note that I said "possible". 😄

open auto-saved file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.