Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Save as" always overwrites the original document

I have turned off Auto Save in Pages as described here:

How do you turn OFF Auto Save in Pages an… - Apple Community

But nevertheless, when I open a document, apply changes without saving the original document and then choose "Save as .." also the original document is overwritten with that changes. This is annoying! In former versions of MacOS I already deactivated that weird auto save feature. But after updating to MacOS Monterey the setting was already activated by Apple. Any ideas how I can leave an opened document untouched when using the "Save as ..." feature? And any ideas how to prevent from changing that weird auto save feature in future updates?

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 4:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 2:25 PM

"Any ideas how I can leave an opened document untouched when using the "Save as ..." feature? "

Open the document.

Immediately on opening the document, do a Save as…, remembering to use a different name for the 'save as'.

Close the original (this step may not be necessary, but do check that there is not a document with the 'old' name still open, and that there IS still a saved copy of the original under its earlier name in the folder from which you opened it.

Make your changes on the document bearing the 'saved as' name.

Save that when done.

Regards,

Barry

ps: With auto save on, and Time Machine running, changes to the active document are saved frequently to its file. You can then later step into Time Machine and restore an earlier version of the document.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2022 2:25 PM in response to Alex-_

"Any ideas how I can leave an opened document untouched when using the "Save as ..." feature? "

Open the document.

Immediately on opening the document, do a Save as…, remembering to use a different name for the 'save as'.

Close the original (this step may not be necessary, but do check that there is not a document with the 'old' name still open, and that there IS still a saved copy of the original under its earlier name in the folder from which you opened it.

Make your changes on the document bearing the 'saved as' name.

Save that when done.

Regards,

Barry

ps: With auto save on, and Time Machine running, changes to the active document are saved frequently to its file. You can then later step into Time Machine and restore an earlier version of the document.

"Save as" always overwrites the original document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.