Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft_AutoUpdate_4.19.20011301_Updater.pkg Reported by AVG Antivirus as a PUP

I use the free version of AVG on a Macbook Pro (early 2015, running macOS Mojave).  I run Microsoft Office version 16.16.15. After support for Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac ended on October 13, 2020, when running an AVG Antivirus Deep Scan, Microsoft_AutoUpdate_4.19.20011301_Updater.pkg is reported as a Potentially Unwanted Program threat (Other:PUP-gen [PUP]); but it will not resolve.

I uninstalled AVG Antivirus and re-installed it. I updated the virus definitions. I went into the Libraries, found Microsoft AutoUpdate.app and moved it to Trash. I searched the Library for "Microsoft," and moved two plist files to Trash:

com.microsoft.autoupdate.helper.plist

com.microsoft.update.agent.plist

I purged the Trash folder. Then I re-ran AVG several times; the same threat is reported and it will not resolve. I guess the Microsoft Office Microsoft_AutoUpdate_4.19.20011301_Updater.pkg software has burrowed itself deeply into my Mac.

I searched the internet and haven't found a solution. A Mr. Rasmussen reported the same issue in the AVG Community; he is using a paid version of AVG. It seems odd that only two people reported this issue so far.

My son’s Macbook Pro (late 2011, running High Sierra) doesn't have this problem; but he has Microsoft Office version 15.41. 

I cannot upgrade my Macbook Pro to Catalina, because I cannot run my Microsoft Office applications on Catalina.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 4:09 PM

As stated in many places on the web: “make sure you have the latest version of Microsoft AutoUpdate installed.” After I installed Microsoft AutoUpdate 4.28.20101102, AVG was able to resolve the PUP-gen [PUP] threat for Microsoft_AutoUpdate_4.19.20011301_Updater.pkg.

Case closed, with thanks for the many alternatives.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2020 4:09 PM in response to RHunz_48

As stated in many places on the web: “make sure you have the latest version of Microsoft AutoUpdate installed.” After I installed Microsoft AutoUpdate 4.28.20101102, AVG was able to resolve the PUP-gen [PUP] threat for Microsoft_AutoUpdate_4.19.20011301_Updater.pkg.

Case closed, with thanks for the many alternatives.

Oct 18, 2020 11:33 AM in response to RHunz_48

Third party Antivirus does nothing but add issue to the macOS and compete directly with Apples built in security—

Apple uses its Software Update service (which also drives the system software updates that show in the App Store) as a mechanism for installing “background and critical” updates that are installed silently in the background with no notifications to the user.

Gatekeeper mechanism, central to security services, which tries to ensure that any code loaded is ‘safe’. Code signatures are only part of this.

XProtect checks the security and integrity of files, including in broader ways too, vulnerable document types, such as JPEG images, are also screened to ensure that they’re not malicious.

Apple’s Malware Removal Tool (MRT) an app which often complements XProtect’s signature-based screening, and can automatically remove all traces of many different species of malware.

System Integrity Protection (SIP) which ensures that nothing can tamper with key system files, or even Apple’s bundled apps.

ref: macOS - Security - Apple https://www.apple.com/macos/security/

Oct 18, 2020 11:43 AM in response to RHunz_48

AVG, and any other type of AV software are all 100% worthless. There are no Mac viruses. None. Any Trojan you install or run will go right past them. They don't do a single worthwhile thing. They do an excellent job though of eating up system resources while doing nothing for you in return.

In the meantime, you deleted at least three legitimate files Office uses to check for updates and install them.

Microsoft_AutoUpdate_4.19.20011301_Updater.pkg Reported by AVG Antivirus as a PUP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.