Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weak security

In my 6th gen iPad Settings under WiFi it says WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not considered secure. It goes on to say that if this is your WiFi network, configure the router to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3 security type.

So I go into my router, a possibly 13 year old Netgear, and it lists five security options, the last two of which are WPA2-PSK [AES], and the combo WPA-PSK [TKIP]+WPA2-PSK [AES]. Currently, I have the combo.

My questions are, what is PSK, why is it not listed in the Apple alert, should I just leave things the way they are, should I opt for the fourth choice WPA2-PSK [AES], or should I just get a new WiFi router?

Thank you!

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 4:44 AM

Nothing is broken - but your WiFi network may benefit from update in either settings or improved hardware...

Your iPad is no less secure today than it was prior to the update to iPadOS14. However, your iPad is now better able to [warn] bring to your attention security deficiencies of your WiFi network and iPad settings.

This support page will describe the more secure (recommended) settings for WiFi:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points – Apple Support

TKIP is old and insecure - and was deprecated many years ago; it should be disabled in deference to much better WiFi security protocols (WPA2 and WPA3).

It is possible that your WiFi Router is too old to be (or not capable of being) configured for more secure settings. As such, you can either configure the most secure settings that your Router will support - or replace your Router with something more advanced that provides better security configuration options. 

Whilst WPA3 is the newest standard, you should aim to use WPA2 (AES-PSK) as a minimum.

There is a also new privacy feature included within iOS/iPadOS14 that hides your physical MAC Address - and instead uses a randomly selected Private MAC Address. This feature can be enabled/disabled on your iPhone/iPad for each configured WiFi Network. This feature also has bearing upon the appearance of the Weak Security notifications.

More information about this new feature can be found here:

Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14 and watchOS 7 – Apple Support

As an alternative to replacing your Router - which, if supplied by your ISP may be impractical - you might add a more advanced upstream WiFi Router, or a WiFi Access Point, that offers mote advanced WiFi Security standards. This may be cheaper and more flexible option. One or other router will need to be configured in bridge-mode. Having added new equipment, you can simply disable WiFi on your existing router.

I hope this information and insight proves to be helpful in resolving any issues.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2020 4:44 AM in response to Rockdoggie

Nothing is broken - but your WiFi network may benefit from update in either settings or improved hardware...

Your iPad is no less secure today than it was prior to the update to iPadOS14. However, your iPad is now better able to [warn] bring to your attention security deficiencies of your WiFi network and iPad settings.

This support page will describe the more secure (recommended) settings for WiFi:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points – Apple Support

TKIP is old and insecure - and was deprecated many years ago; it should be disabled in deference to much better WiFi security protocols (WPA2 and WPA3).

It is possible that your WiFi Router is too old to be (or not capable of being) configured for more secure settings. As such, you can either configure the most secure settings that your Router will support - or replace your Router with something more advanced that provides better security configuration options. 

Whilst WPA3 is the newest standard, you should aim to use WPA2 (AES-PSK) as a minimum.

There is a also new privacy feature included within iOS/iPadOS14 that hides your physical MAC Address - and instead uses a randomly selected Private MAC Address. This feature can be enabled/disabled on your iPhone/iPad for each configured WiFi Network. This feature also has bearing upon the appearance of the Weak Security notifications.

More information about this new feature can be found here:

Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14 and watchOS 7 – Apple Support

As an alternative to replacing your Router - which, if supplied by your ISP may be impractical - you might add a more advanced upstream WiFi Router, or a WiFi Access Point, that offers mote advanced WiFi Security standards. This may be cheaper and more flexible option. One or other router will need to be configured in bridge-mode. Having added new equipment, you can simply disable WiFi on your existing router.

I hope this information and insight proves to be helpful in resolving any issues.

Oct 19, 2020 2:52 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for your time and your help. You’re the only one in the community that seems to reposed to this question. I guess I’m a little confused about how my iPad is as protected as it was before the update but still has deficiencies. I guess you mean that it had those deficiencies before as well so being “protected” is a moot point.

My router does have a WPA2-PSK [AES] security option which is what you seem to recommend in lieu of WPA3 which is not an option on my old router. What I have in force currently is the “combo” WPA-PSK [TKIP]+WPA2-PSK [AES]. Are you saying that this “combo” is not secure because of the alternative pairing with WPA-PSK [TKIP]?

Some of the information you have included is beyond me at the moment but I will hopefully get up to speed in a timely manner.

So, for now, can I just switch from the “combo” to the WPA2-PSK [AES] security option for my old Netgear WiFi router until such time as I decide to buy a new router?

Thank you!

Weak security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.