Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer selected files/folders from my old Mac to my new Mac?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 8:06 PM

You can use Migration Assistant, but that works best before you have set up the new Mac with accounts, etc.

If you have already set up your Mac, you can copy the files to an external drive from the old Mac, and then copy them from the external drive to the new Mac.

A different way, if you have a fast WiFi network, is to enable file sharing on the old Mac and then log in from the new Mac and copy the files. Or you can connect the two Macs with a cable.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2020 8:06 PM in response to 72Daylight

You can use Migration Assistant, but that works best before you have set up the new Mac with accounts, etc.

If you have already set up your Mac, you can copy the files to an external drive from the old Mac, and then copy them from the external drive to the new Mac.

A different way, if you have a fast WiFi network, is to enable file sharing on the old Mac and then log in from the new Mac and copy the files. Or you can connect the two Macs with a cable.

Oct 18, 2020 9:35 PM in response to steve626

Thank you for your prompt, helpful response. As my new Mac has half the storage (256GB) of what I'm currently using (but don't really need) on my old Mac (~551GB of 1TB currently stored), I initially wasn't able to easily use Migration Assistant for all the files. I do want to clean out many of my old files, duplicate/unwanted photos/videos and don't right now need to transfer my Music files. I may also buy more storage but would prefer selecting necessary files as you describe.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.