Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to transfer my files from my old Mac to my new Mac. What is the first thing I need to do?

I had a new Mac delivered today and want to transfer files from my old mac to the new one. What is the first thing I need to do.

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 3:26 PM

Elaborating a bit on the response from razmee, after you have a good reliable and complete backup done, you can use the Migration Assistant to migrate files and applications from your backup drive to the new computer. The best way to accomplish this is on very first boot up of the new computer, respond to the questions and indicate that you will be migrating from an external backup drive.

You can migrate EVERYTHING. Or you can be more selective; for instance you can bring over just user accounts and files, and then reinstall applications from scratch -- the advantage of this is that you will be installing the latest versions and avoid the risk of bringing over an older version that does not work as well with the newer operating system,

Depending on how old your "old Mac" is, it might have some 32-bit applications. The new computers from Apple only run 64-bit applications. So, for example, an old version of MS-Office from 2011 is 32-bit and will need to be replaced with a new installation of a more recent version of MS-Office. Same thing for some older Adobe programs, and other various software.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2021 3:26 PM in response to kathleenfrompine hill

Elaborating a bit on the response from razmee, after you have a good reliable and complete backup done, you can use the Migration Assistant to migrate files and applications from your backup drive to the new computer. The best way to accomplish this is on very first boot up of the new computer, respond to the questions and indicate that you will be migrating from an external backup drive.

You can migrate EVERYTHING. Or you can be more selective; for instance you can bring over just user accounts and files, and then reinstall applications from scratch -- the advantage of this is that you will be installing the latest versions and avoid the risk of bringing over an older version that does not work as well with the newer operating system,

Depending on how old your "old Mac" is, it might have some 32-bit applications. The new computers from Apple only run 64-bit applications. So, for example, an old version of MS-Office from 2011 is 32-bit and will need to be replaced with a new installation of a more recent version of MS-Office. Same thing for some older Adobe programs, and other various software.

I want to transfer my files from my old Mac to my new Mac. What is the first thing I need to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.