Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook hinge has become very tight suddenly

After around 25 days since my new Macbook Pro 13" (2020) purchase, the hinge of the laptop lid has tightened up all of a sudden. All these days I was able to open the lid with just the help of one finger. But now since yesterday when I try to do the same, the whole laptop lifts off the table. The entire hinge has become very significantly tighter (to a point where it feels uncomfortable in a very un-macbooky way). I cannot recollect doing anything different in the past few days that could have led to something like this (such as dropping the laptop or spilling liquids).

I have tried flapping the lid very rapidly a couple of times to "loosen" it up. This made it work like before but only temporarily for sometime before it hardens up again.

Could this be due to any sort of "dust" getting inside the hinge? Or are the screws just randomly tightening up? Please let me know if there's something I could do, or if I must just hand it over to Apple Care. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 11:24 AM

dpk38 wrote:

After around 25 days since my new Macbook Pro 13" (2020) purchase, the hinge of the laptop lid has tightened up all of a sudden. All these days I was able to open the lid with just the help of one finger. But now since yesterday when I try to do the same, the whole laptop lifts off the table. The entire hinge has become very significantly tighter (to a point where it feels uncomfortable in a very un-macbooky way). I cannot recollect doing anything different in the past few days that could have led to something like this (such as dropping the laptop or spilling liquids).

I have tried flapping the lid very rapidly a couple of times to "loosen" it up. This made it work like before but only temporarily for sometime before it hardens up again.

Could this be due to any sort of "dust" getting inside the hinge? Or are the screws just randomly tightening up? Please let me know if there's something I could do, or if I must just hand it over to Apple Care. Thanks!

If you have a local Apple store open and available—

I would make an appointment for a hardware issue and they should be able to resolve your issue over the counter. I would not advise trying to fix it yourself.

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

From iOS device using the app to make a online Genius Bar appointment is easy:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-support/id1130498044?mt=8

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2020 11:24 AM in response to dpk38

dpk38 wrote:

If you have a local Apple store open and available—

I would make an appointment for a hardware issue and they should be able to resolve your issue over the counter. I would not advise trying to fix it yourself.

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

From iOS device using the app to make a online Genius Bar appointment is easy:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-support/id1130498044?mt=8

Macbook hinge has become very tight suddenly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.