Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb drive improperly ejected when mac goes to sleep

I saw a lot of comments on this topic from a few years back. I have not been able to solve this problem and I have tried everything I read in the forums. I use an external USB HDD for Time Machine. It's powered by the USB port. I previously used another brand of external USB HDD that had separate power directly to the drive. It still had the same problem. I've tried setting changes in Energy Saver, Time Machine, and Spotlight. Nothing works. I'm looking for a clear answer with something that works every time. The worst part is that up until about a year and a half ago, I never had this problem.

MacBook

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 6:41 PM

You have to buy a drive that doesn't shutdown when it gets the sleep command from the computer.

Setting it to not put drives to sleep usually prevents that from happening, it may be something else.

The USB ports may get powered down during sleep, so having a bus-powered drive would likely just stop working when the Mac goes to sleep. That would cause it to eject.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2020 6:41 PM in response to daddio8

You have to buy a drive that doesn't shutdown when it gets the sleep command from the computer.

Setting it to not put drives to sleep usually prevents that from happening, it may be something else.

The USB ports may get powered down during sleep, so having a bus-powered drive would likely just stop working when the Mac goes to sleep. That would cause it to eject.

Oct 25, 2020 10:08 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you, Barney-15E. I found out that the Macbook I'm using doesn't have the Power Nap option available under System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter. If it was available, I think this could solve my problem. Since it's not available, can anyone tell me who sells a hard drive the doesn't shut down when it gets a sleep command from the computer?

usb drive improperly ejected when mac goes to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.