Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Disk not ejected properly"

I'm running 10.14.6 Mojave on a 2009 Mac Pro with dual Xeon x5690 processors (6 cores & 3.46GHz each) and 48GB RAM. The system drive is a 1TB SSD.

I haven't had this problem EVER before I started running Mojave. I've read that it started happening to people from High Sierra upwards, but the last OS I ran before Mojave was El Capitan 10.11.x.

This happens (displaying "Disk not ejected properly") as it's supposed to; if you unplug an external drive or flashdrive without ejecting it in the software first.

But the problem is that it ALSO happens if I put the machine to sleep and then wake it.

1) This has happened with a wide variety of hard drive brands/capacities/types/formats.

2) External drives connected in toasters/enclosures.

3) External drives in permanent enclosures.

4) USB flashdrives.

5) The machine is set to never go to sleep, so it is not an issue with that. Only I put it to sleep, and this happens. By either selecting it from the menu, or pressing the power button for a second or two until it goes to sleep.

I can't see this being ANYTHING other than a software problem. Does anyone have any ideas/have the same problem/and more importantly, solutions?

I REALLY don't want my drives/data to be corrupted, as I have numerous drives connected through numerous USB ports (2 and 3) and sometimes firewire.

Thank you to ANYONE who can help!!!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 12:46 PM

1. Disconnect anything you can, i.e. external drive and the like (sorry, nothing we can do with internal devices)
  2. Restart is Safe Mode and validate everything is working properly. If not , contact Apple.
  3. Restart in normal mode and start replugging your external devices one by one, checking after each "replugging" that your system is OK

If all fails, you know whom to call :)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2021 12:46 PM in response to TopherPSU

1. Disconnect anything you can, i.e. external drive and the like (sorry, nothing we can do with internal devices)
  2. Restart is Safe Mode and validate everything is working properly. If not , contact Apple.
  3. Restart in normal mode and start replugging your external devices one by one, checking after each "replugging" that your system is OK

If all fails, you know whom to call :)

Feb 8, 2021 1:02 PM in response to 6x6

I've had this machine down to literally keyboard, mouse, and 1 internal hard drive, and had no problems.

I haven't tried it in safe mode though.

But just to be clear, are you saying I should "re-plug" and put the machine to sleep and wake it, to test if it's a specific device or not? I can tell you it has happened with any combination of drives, or just single drives.

I'll try the safe mode thing when I get the chance, won't be able to for at least an hour.

Thanks for the advice!

"Disk not ejected properly"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.