Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two drives in utility Macintosh HD-Data and Macintosh HD Data - Data

While updating my macbook to Mac OS Mojave installation failed and it got stuck on the boot up page. Then running it on recovery mode I chose Reinstall Mac OS option after installing the OS I had to set it up as a New Mac and all my data appeared to be lost but then running disk utility I found that my Mac is showing two Hard Drives namely Macintosh HD - Data and Macintosh HD - Data - Data.

Everything that I am doing now is being saved in Macintosh HD - Data while all of my old data is there in Macintosh HD Data - Data.

Both the drives are writeable.

How do I solve this issue ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 2:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 8:53 PM

You installed on the wrong volume, so the startup volume is named Macintosh HD - Data and the data drive is named Macintosh HD - Data - Data.

In Finder, rename your startup drive to Macintosh HD ( or anything you want). The data volume will update to match.

Catalina splits the startup drive into two Volumes, one for the OS and one for your data and third-party applications or Apple Apps that are not fundamental to the OS.

When you reinstalled, you did so on the - Data volume causing it to create a data volume named the same, but with an additional - Data.

If you did not erase the - Data volume before installing, it would still have all of your data on it.

Do you have a backup? You should erase the disk completely, reinstall the OS, then migrate your data from the backup when the Setup Assistant runs after installation.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 8:53 PM in response to priyam98

You installed on the wrong volume, so the startup volume is named Macintosh HD - Data and the data drive is named Macintosh HD - Data - Data.

In Finder, rename your startup drive to Macintosh HD ( or anything you want). The data volume will update to match.

Catalina splits the startup drive into two Volumes, one for the OS and one for your data and third-party applications or Apple Apps that are not fundamental to the OS.

When you reinstalled, you did so on the - Data volume causing it to create a data volume named the same, but with an additional - Data.

If you did not erase the - Data volume before installing, it would still have all of your data on it.

Do you have a backup? You should erase the disk completely, reinstall the OS, then migrate your data from the backup when the Setup Assistant runs after installation.

Two drives in utility Macintosh HD-Data and Macintosh HD Data - Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.