Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two router setup, one main, one extension via ethernet

Hi

I have two routers. An airport extreme 6th gen and an Airport Time Capsule 5th gen. The airport extreme serves as the main router and the TC is serves as an extension via ethernet. Presently, I have both routers using the same wireless network name. The problem is, I can never tell to which router I am connecting. There are times I would like to know to which router I am connected.

Question: can the wireless network name be different between the two so that one can tell which router is one connected to? Most people here recommend they should be the same for simplification purposes. If it is possible, what makes it complicated?

best regards

Tsinoy Newbie

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 5:23 AM

The problem is, I can never tell to which router I am connecting

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac and click on the AirPort Extreme and a smaller window will appear.

Look for Wireless Clients

WiFi devices that are connected to the AirPort Extreme will be listed here

Do the same thing for the Time Capsule

If you have AirPort Utility installed on your iPhone or iPad, you can do the same thing on the iOS device.

Question: can the wireless network name be different between the two so that one can tell which router is one connected to?

Sure, but you won't have an extended network if this is the case. You will have two different wireless networks requiring that you log off of one and log onto the other when you want to change networks. A hassle for most users who are moving their WiFi devices around, but perhaps not for you.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 5:23 AM in response to Tsinoy Newbie

The problem is, I can never tell to which router I am connecting

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac and click on the AirPort Extreme and a smaller window will appear.

Look for Wireless Clients

WiFi devices that are connected to the AirPort Extreme will be listed here

Do the same thing for the Time Capsule

If you have AirPort Utility installed on your iPhone or iPad, you can do the same thing on the iOS device.

Question: can the wireless network name be different between the two so that one can tell which router is one connected to?

Sure, but you won't have an extended network if this is the case. You will have two different wireless networks requiring that you log off of one and log onto the other when you want to change networks. A hassle for most users who are moving their WiFi devices around, but perhaps not for you.

Two router setup, one main, one extension via ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.