Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I want "the application 'sharingd' to accept incoming network connections?"

I just set up a new Macbook Pro and used it for a couple weeks before migrating my old macbook pro (late2008). After doing the migration yesterday, I immediately began receiving upon start up, a message with a yellow explanation point, reading "Do you want the application 'sharingd' to accept incoming network connections?'

I didn't receive this message before doing the migration. Can someone tell me if this is something that I should allow or deny? I've looked this up, but am not finding a clear answer.

Thanks!

Macbook Pro 2019

OS 10.15.7

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 4:28 PM

It's the macOS process used for all sharing services; "sharing" meaning anything that facilitates using a Mac for services such as file sharing, screen sharing, etc. It needs to be enabled if you want to do that (obviously). You can read about it here: Share your Mac screen, files, and services with other users on your network.

The context of your question implies you enabled the macOS application firewall. Are you sure you require it? What are you expecting it to accomplish?

Change Firewall preferences on Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 4:28 PM in response to imaginary_forest

It's the macOS process used for all sharing services; "sharing" meaning anything that facilitates using a Mac for services such as file sharing, screen sharing, etc. It needs to be enabled if you want to do that (obviously). You can read about it here: Share your Mac screen, files, and services with other users on your network.

The context of your question implies you enabled the macOS application firewall. Are you sure you require it? What are you expecting it to accomplish?

Change Firewall preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Do I want "the application 'sharingd' to accept incoming network connections?"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.