Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail crashes when typing "Holi " in the search box

Funny thing started happening yesterday morning. I wanted to check on a public holiday, so I wanted to type "Holiday" in the OS X Mail search box to find my secretary's updates on that.

But as I typed, I can type "Hol" but when I key in the "i", Mail crashes instantly!

I've tried it many times, did a fresh restart of the computer.. it keeps doing the same.

I've also tried searching "Hol" with all other letters of the alfabet.. no problems at all!

Using a Mid-2015 2.2Ghz i7 MacBook Pro with integrated graphics.

Software fully up to date.

It is sending crash reports to Apple, but I'm wondering what is going on and how to fix it.

Not a mayor issue, but strange..Also tried this on my colleague's MacBook Air.. she had no problems with it.

Cheers,

Luc

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 10:18 AM

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, try again in regular boot.

Open Terminal and run each of these...

sudo mdutil -E /

This basically asks for temporary super user status, which is why Terminal may ask you for your password (it may not if you’ve used a sudo command recently or are already logged in as a super user or root. The command asks the unix tool mdutil to reindex the spotlight database for everything on the computer, including external drives, mounted disk images, etc. To re-index only for a specific drive, use the /Volumes path. For example, for an external drive named “MiniMe,” the command would look like this:

sudo mdutil -i on /

Rebuilding a drive index can take a long time, so be prepared to wait whether you do it through the System Preference panel or the command line.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2020 10:18 AM in response to LucScholte

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, try again in regular boot.

Open Terminal and run each of these...

sudo mdutil -E /

This basically asks for temporary super user status, which is why Terminal may ask you for your password (it may not if you’ve used a sudo command recently or are already logged in as a super user or root. The command asks the unix tool mdutil to reindex the spotlight database for everything on the computer, including external drives, mounted disk images, etc. To re-index only for a specific drive, use the /Volumes path. For example, for an external drive named “MiniMe,” the command would look like this:

sudo mdutil -i on /

Rebuilding a drive index can take a long time, so be prepared to wait whether you do it through the System Preference panel or the command line.

Mail crashes when typing "Holi " in the search box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.