Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two versions of Macos on a single Mac

Hi,

I need to install Mojave on a Catalina based Mac because some software aren't compatible with Catalina and newers. I need to use them on a single mac.

I created a new partition on APFS system but... how can I install Mojave legally and with no problem?

Thanks

Nicola

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.0

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 3:35 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Oct 22, 2020 10:57 PM in response to dialabrain

Re-trying to use APFS volume groups for dual boot reminded me why I reverted to the old partition scheme. Long story short:

"It is not possible to bless another system on the same APFS volume group".

My setup for this is somewhat special so here are the details for those who are interested:

I use an external disk as a test bed for Catalina and occasionally also Mojave. It is partitioned as 1. Catalina-clean (install), 2. Catalina-test, 3. Mojave-clean and 4. Mojave test. I can quickly reset the test partitions to a clean install state by cloning the clean partition to it with Carbon Copy Cloner (actually I usually clone it from a locked CCC disk image).

OK. Making APFS volume groups was very handy and unlike old partitions, as a great bonus, it left unused space on the small 320GB HD shared between all those volumes (it is an old slow spinning 5400 SATA HDD kannibalized from an old Asus laptop. I am cheap).

But where this seems to fall apart is that when I am booted from the Catalina-clean, CCC refuses to completely clone it (or from a disk image saved on another external disk) to the the other APFS volume (Catalina-test) because:

"It is not possible to bless another system on the same APFS volume group". In Mojave CCC seems to successfully clone all files but the blessing must be done while booted from elsewhere. But CCC seems to alert that much of Catalina content can't be cloned then.

Anyway, maybe I continue with APFS volume groups because it seems to handily share unused space for all volumes. Maybe I could tweak the APFS volume groups on that same disk so I can boot from another group to do the blessing? Or add an old-style extra partition for Catalina so I can bless the APFS Catalina volumes (or if that fails, use some other spare disk or flash drive to bless the Catalina volumes (this is my one and only Catalina install, Mojave being my main system).

Oct 23, 2020 12:05 PM in response to Barney-15E

Creating a separate Container disk for the other Catalina install on the same device via the old-style partitioning scheme fixed the problem. So now I have two Catalina installs that can bless each other on the same device.

In retrospect, the CCC alert DID tell me this: "When Disk Utility tries to discourage you from doing this, by preselecting "Add Volume" click the "Partition" button ... Click the "+" button to add a second APFS-formatted partition on the startup disk".

The problem was that bootable APFS volumes in the same container will all share the same Preboot volume. They each get their own payload folder, but the volume itself is shared. The "bless" problem arises when System Integrity Protection prevents any changes to the Preboot volume.

Two versions of Macos on a single Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.