Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Passwords & Accounts

I’m trying access passwords & settings on my iPad and iPhone but my devices only show passwords.

my software is iOS 14.1 phone is IPhone 7

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 11:37 AM

Rstozza wrote:

I’m trying access passwords & settings on my iPad and iPhone but my devices only show passwords.
my software is iOS 14.1 phone is IPhone 7

you click the mail tab in settings to add or delete a mail account.

11 replies

Dec 3, 2020 12:40 PM in response to JemaineMang

I think what peter_watt meant was to go to articles on support.apple.com rather than a general Google search, which can return both out of date and simply wrong information amid the sometimes helpful information. If you aren’t familiar with how to limit a search to a specific site, prefix a Google search with site:support.apple.com. Or use the support search directly by going to https://support.apple.com and click on the Search icon.

For saved passwords to work in apps you need to enable Keychain on the phone ➡️ Set up iCloud Keychain - Apple Support. And note that you must have 2 factor authentication enabled on your Apple ID to use Keychain.

Dec 3, 2020 11:39 AM in response to Rstozza

Was this ever resolved for you Rstozza? Both my and my girlfriend’s iPhone XR and 11 show the same thing (only passwords, not “passwords & accounts). We also have iOS 14.2 - or at least I do and I believe she does as well.

You don’t say why you were looking into this and I’m curious if it was for the same reason. Or, even if it was for a different reason, if you were able to do something that allowed it to show the full “passwords & accounts” which I believe would solve my issue.

The underlying issue I am trying to solve is why my iPhone doesn’t appear to be able to save any app passwords, only websites. One caveat here is that Apps that are able to use faceID to log in will work, but that isn’t all apps and I think this just circumvents the password issue, and isn’t really related.

This could be an important difference in kur situations and solutions, as I know faceID didn’t come along until the 10 and you have iPhone 7, but I don’t think so. So for all apps that don’t have this functionality, which I presume would be the case for all of your apps, I must manually enter in the password. And my iPhone never offers to save it. The passwords button above the keyboard is there, but when I click on it, it is only for the list of websites that also appear under the passwords section of settings.

I’ve searched around but almost every forum or article deals with auto fill and saved passwords as a whole, and every single one refers to adjusting settings in the “passwords & accounts” tab. Nowhere have I found a mention of it as “passwords” or why that might be the case.

Maybe this should be it’s own post of it’s a separate issue, but I wanted to check here first as my intuition says this is related to the underlying issue, as auto fill and saved passwords is enabled and functions—just with websites, never apps.

Thanks.

Passwords & Accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.