Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch and Fitness App: Pool Swim Inaccuracies with lap counts and distance calculation

I recently got an Apple watch (series 6, O/S v7 ), and started using it to track my pool swimming workouts. While it's amazing how much engineering has gone into this device, I'm having accuracy issues with its lap counting.

I researched how the watch counts laps, which I now believe it does strictly by marking your turns at each end of the pool. Lap counts have nothing to do with the "pool length parameter" you provide as input to the "pool swim" workout in the fitness app, at least according to Apple's director of engineering for motion services (Ron Huang), quoted in this article. That's not necessarily intuitive, and even Apple's support article, contains contradicting information indicating that the pool length parameter does affect lap counting. However, I'm fairly certain Huang is correct and the support article is just poorly worded: "...be sure to accurately set the pool length to help your Apple Watch measure laps and distance".

But what is the definition of a lap? Is it the same as one length of the pool, or to the far end and back again? To my surprise, this is a question of some debate. Shockingly, this isn't even mentioned in the support article or any of the articles on the watch I've read!! However, I think this settles that, and a lap is one length of the pool, not two lengths.

Interestingly, my freestyle strokes are counted by the fitness app as just below 50% of the actual laps I count, where 1 length=1 lap. Perhaps Apple was using the "other" (as in wrong) definition of a lap? But then I learned laps were counted by marking turns based on the watch's motion data, therefore each turn, i.e. each length of the pool, marks a lap. On my second swim day, I paid more attention to the counter at the start of my swim, and noticed after about 8 laps, it was still at 0, that's problematic! I think it started counting around the 10th length/lap, huh? Ok, maybe it needs to tune its algorithm, but you would think it would estimate lost laps, not just leave them as uncounted!

I was impressed by the fact the watch also knew my stroke type, which had only been freestyle on my day 1 swim. So I added 20 laps of breast stroke to the end of my swim on day 2. With breaststroke it was easier to monitor my watch, and to my utter confusion, it was counting every single length as a lap, with perfect accuracy.

Explanation? If marked turns are how laps are counted, and turns are marked by analyzing the motion data generated from the arm wearing the watch, and arm motions vary by stroke type, then how one "turns" will affect lap accuracy. I'm not doing flip turns with my freestyle, and my freestyle turns are definitely less consistent than my breast stroke. I just wish I knew how to modify my freestyle turns to get better lap count accuracy. Right now it's a mess, with freestyle at just under 50% of actual, and breast stroke being accurate.

Now, as if all of this wasn't confusing enough, there appears to be a bug in how the Fitness app reports on the total distance traveled. Granted, if the laps count is wrong, the distance calculation can't ever be right. But simply multiplying the app's own reported laps (99) by its known pool length (7m), does not even match its reported distance (724m)! See inserted screen shot. Madness!!!

Two last points about distance. If pool length is a key parameter for calculating total distance, then why is the smallest unit of measurement a yard, as opposed to a foot? Private pools are not created in even numbers of yards. A 25 foot, 8.3 yard pool would have to be rounded to 8 yards. I am swimming about 200 actual laps leading to a distance inaccuracy of 200 x 0.3 yards, or 60 yards, or 180 feet, not insignificant and unnecessary. Unless we are being dissuaded from assuming accuracy by preventing a smaller unit of measure?

Lastly, there are 3 pool swim goals (calories, distance and time). Most swimmers measure progress using either distance or laps. Distance is clearly flawed, and there is no "laps" goal. Mentally counting laps (for either a lap count or distance goal) is actually rather difficult without losing one's place, especially when swimming a couple hundred laps. I really hoped the watch would be able to count for me, so I can focus on swimming (or day dreaming)!

The watch is absolutely amazing, counting swim laps is insanely difficult, and Apple engineers have certainly spoiled us with toys, raising our expectations ever higher each year. I'm hoping those brilliant engineers might eventually teach us how to help the watch do better, if we possibly can. And we need the Fitness app report developers to fix their reporting: let us input more accurate lengths, and report total distance to agree with laps x length.

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 2:57 AM

Hey CANPMH, you're preaching to the choir. I purchased my first AW ever (SE) after uprading from Suunto, two weeks ago and was super impressed with all the features at first (and still am). I took it to my swimming pool (7,1 Yards) about 10 days ago for the first time and started noticing a severe inaccuracy with freestyle laps, the watch only counting around 40-50% (and sometimes less if I move too fast) of what I actually did. Interestingly the watch measures breatstroke, backstroke and butterfly with extreme accuracy (even after trying 200 laps mixed without freestyle the watch recorded 199).

I tried pretty much every trick in the book :

• restarting the watch and the phone
  • Updating both watch and phone to latest software
  • Closing all apps on the watch
  • switching hands on the watch
  • downloading third-party apps
  • recalibrating the watch
  • resetting watch from backup
  • changing freestyle swimstyle
  • turning to the left and to the right
  • flip-turning
  • giving the watch to someone else to try it
  • and last but not least ( wish I didn't do that one) resetting phone and then resetting watch and setting it up as a new watch

None of the solutions above helped at all, always getting different results with freestyle and the rest being super accurate. I contacted Apple support and they sent a ticket to the company and will get back to me on the 24th, i will definitely post back here if i find a solution or if Apple helps.

I would personally be very disappointed if this problem does not get resolved, especially that all the rest is accurate except freestyle, this is very frustrating and we're talking about relatively expensive products here.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 2:57 AM in response to CANPMH

Hey CANPMH, you're preaching to the choir. I purchased my first AW ever (SE) after uprading from Suunto, two weeks ago and was super impressed with all the features at first (and still am). I took it to my swimming pool (7,1 Yards) about 10 days ago for the first time and started noticing a severe inaccuracy with freestyle laps, the watch only counting around 40-50% (and sometimes less if I move too fast) of what I actually did. Interestingly the watch measures breatstroke, backstroke and butterfly with extreme accuracy (even after trying 200 laps mixed without freestyle the watch recorded 199).

I tried pretty much every trick in the book :

• restarting the watch and the phone
  • Updating both watch and phone to latest software
  • Closing all apps on the watch
  • switching hands on the watch
  • downloading third-party apps
  • recalibrating the watch
  • resetting watch from backup
  • changing freestyle swimstyle
  • turning to the left and to the right
  • flip-turning
  • giving the watch to someone else to try it
  • and last but not least ( wish I didn't do that one) resetting phone and then resetting watch and setting it up as a new watch

None of the solutions above helped at all, always getting different results with freestyle and the rest being super accurate. I contacted Apple support and they sent a ticket to the company and will get back to me on the 24th, i will definitely post back here if i find a solution or if Apple helps.

I would personally be very disappointed if this problem does not get resolved, especially that all the rest is accurate except freestyle, this is very frustrating and we're talking about relatively expensive products here.

Nov 15, 2020 3:45 AM in response to CANPMH

I have the same problem tracking my Swimming workout. The Apple Watch would track the first 3 laps and stop tracking after that. I am using Serie 5 and Watch OS 7.1

i do not see why Apple could not fix this issue when other smart watches are doing a better job for example my Mi Band 5.

This is a big dent on the reputation of Apple. I wrote to Jim Cook but no reply.

Lawrence Tan

(A very disappointed customer)

Nov 18, 2020 10:37 AM in response to GGWAT

GGWAT,

Thanks for replying and letting me know you opened a ticket with Apple Support. Please do post back as I’m very interested in what they say. Clearly this needs to get in front of their developers/engineers as freestyle lap counting in a pool simply does not work. Interestingly, we both get just under 50% of actual laps (at least most of the time, I have a couple swims where it was off by more).

I’ve great confidence in Apple and believe they will fix this eventually. At the same time, it’s very surprising that such an obvious defect has escaped them.

I love the lengths you went to testing this out. Giving the watch to someone else was very clever. I too tried varying my turns, to no avail, and also get accuracy with breast stroke, weird.

Nov 23, 2020 4:27 PM in response to CANPMH

What’s interesting to me is that when I had the Apple Watch Series 4, I had accurate lap counts. The Series 6 is inconsistent. I typically swim 1800 yards as follows. 200 free, 100 breast, 100 kicks - repeat that 400 yd set 3 more times for 1600, then a final 200 free. This is done with no pauses, other than to grab or set aside the kick board. I have used both the MySwimPro app and the Apple Swim workout app on the Watch. Neither app ever counts the kick board laps, so a “correct” total is 1400 yards (when I get one). The 400 yd sets are reported as 300 yds (having not counted the 100 yd kicks). However, with the Series 6 watch, those 300 sets are often reported as 275 yds. Somewhere 25 yards is dropped. I think it’s when I pause to grab the kick board, but I don’t know. And it’s inconsistent. Today it reported 300, 275, 300, 275, 200 = 1350 (rather than the expected 1400). It’s all over the place. The errant 275 yd count may appear in any order/sequence among the first 4 sets. I’ve been in touch with the support people at MySwimPro and they are puzzled.

Dec 26, 2020 12:33 PM in response to CANPMH

I have the apple watch 3 and have been considering upgrading to the 6 hoping that it will count my kicking laps when I swim. After reading some of these comments, it seems like upgrading is not the answer.

From my observations:

I haven't been counting my swim laps diligently because I thought the watch was doing that for me. However, it does seem like my swim laps (free & breast) are counted. I guess it could be off but if it is it's only by 50 or 100 for swims that are generally 1,700 to 1,800 total.

I noticed right away that the watch does not count ANY of my kicking laps if there is no movement of my arm wearing the watch (my left arm). If I do one arm freestyle with my left arm it DOES count the lap. I've repeated that experiment several times and it is completely consistent that no arm movement = no lap, moving my arm WILL count a lap.

My workaround has been that I swim the first 30 mins of my workout, then turn off the app and kick for 5 mins so I still get some kicking in, but it doesn't bring down my swim time.

Does anyone else have difficulty getting the watch face to swipe when it is wet? It sometimes takes me 30+ seconds to swipe so I can pause or stop the swim mode. Slightly annoying... overall though, I love the watch for swimming and other exercise tracking.

Jan 17, 2021 10:35 AM in response to CANPMH

I'm curious to know if you've solved this problem. My Apple Watch 4 works well on a 40-foot pool entered as 13 yards (I wish they offered feet too). It misses laps occasionally (1 length = 1 lap) but usually catches up. My wife's new Watch 6 behaves exactly like yours. It's a beautiful piece of technology craft, and I'm sure being immersed in water makes measurement challenging, but the indoor swim feature is one of the main reasons she bought the phone.

Watch and Fitness App: Pool Swim Inaccuracies with lap counts and distance calculation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.