Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Ultra Swimming

Does the Ultra measure heart rate while swimming? If not, is it limited by hardware or software

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 7:40 PM

It should be able to measure your heart rate during a swim workout. For more info, see the 'View splits and sets' and 'Get better results' sections in:

Swim with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

3 replies

Dec 28, 2022 4:42 AM in response to javaliga

Many thanks for your response. I agree the Apple Watch theoretically should measure HR in the water but your ref says it might not. My current Apple Watch does not however, with new sensors in the Ultra, I'm wondering if that model does measure HR.

I can find no ref in Apple literature that it can do this.

The only wearable sensors I know of that measure HR in the water are the Whoop band and the Oura ring. Would be great is the Ultra could do it and until I know for sure, I'm not going to spend $800 for one.

Thanks again

Feb 9, 2023 8:41 PM in response to ken155

The Ultra does measure heart rate while swimming. If HR is not showing up on the locked screen while swimming try the following:

Go to Workout on your Apple Watch Ultra

Find “Pool Swim” and click on the 3 dots on the upper right

Now click on the pencil icon on the upper right

Click on “Workout Views”. Now you can customize view metrics and turn on/off different screens

Apple Watch Ultra Swimming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.