Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MRT

Activity Monitor shows that MRT is taking over 200% CPU on my 27" 2010 iMac. I am unable to force quit the MRT process in Activity Monitor. The fans are running loudly and rebooting in SAFE MODE and cleaning caches, and running an AV scan, running Cleaner and MalwareBytes also did not help. I uninstalled MalwareBytes, but that also has not helped. This has been going on for days. The Console app shows that MRT is crashing and reloading about every 10 secs. Any ideas on how to get my computer under control?

Thanks,

Dan

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 8:17 PM

I was able to fix the issue by using Time Machine to extract an older copy of MRT.app and then I booted into another drive and copied the MRT.app file over the bad one. Then I rebooted and all seems to be well. I turned off the updates in the App Store Pref Pane to keep it from being updated again. I'll have to remember to turn that back on once Apple fixes the issue. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Dan

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2020 8:17 PM in response to laserski

I was able to fix the issue by using Time Machine to extract an older copy of MRT.app and then I booted into another drive and copied the MRT.app file over the bad one. Then I rebooted and all seems to be well. I turned off the updates in the App Store Pref Pane to keep it from being updated again. I'll have to remember to turn that back on once Apple fixes the issue. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Dan

Oct 21, 2020 6:44 PM in response to laserski

Can you get us a report?

We might find the problem with an etrecheck report.

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The important part is...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Oct 21, 2020 6:59 PM in response to laserski

Me and a few other people are experiencing the same problem right now. I'm running El Capitan but people with different OS versions are facing the same issue. My plan is to revert back to a previous back up and cancel automatic updates for the time being because this CPU spike started happening right after the MRT 1.68 update.

Oct 22, 2020 12:00 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua & everyone else for responding. I ran EtreCheck and uploaded the file to my Google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q8rkUT-KORoJZUuoYtejnz4Qvu4FPLz-/view?usp=sharing

The issue continues even while in safe mode. No real surprise that Apple wants to be able to remove a virus in safe mode. I also noticed that my RadioShark is flaky and I have to fiddle with the AUDIO & MIDI SETUP Settings to get it to work again. (It nearly works at all in High Sierra, but hey, I like being able to record the radio.)

Dan

Oct 22, 2020 2:02 PM in response to BDAqua

OK, good to know CMM is problematic. I'm always wary of these types of apps. So, upon quick inspection, launchd writes are slower after CMM removal and reboot:

https://pastebin.com/zxv4MaEG

MRT is still often >100% after an hour of booting up in Safe Mode. It ran during all that time. I'm not sure if MRT inspects mounted volumes as well. I have a RAID that might take some time.

Anyway, keeping an eye on it.

Oct 22, 2020 3:23 PM in response to laserski

This has started happening to me also, el Capitan. MRT is going nuts in activity monitor. Installed TotalAV recently and did all scans and said no problems found but then tried the free version of malwarebytes but wasn't able to install it...and now something called 'com.jdi.ss.SSHelper' is popping up in activity monitor also? Did another reboot and now am able to re-run full scan with TotalAV...never had issues with MRT before today.

Oct 23, 2020 3:37 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes thanks, 'com.jdi.ss.SSHelper' is part of TotalAV, when I turn off totalAV MRT calms down a bit, but not totally. Was concerned as saw online that if MRT starts going nuts then its looking for malware?? Kinda defeats the purpose that if you run software to try and find any viruses it slows down the whole machine. I'm also thinking me trying to install Malwarebytes to see if TotalAV missed anything was maybe blocked from installing by TotalAV. Anyway will try and disable MRT until apple do a fix as the good people on here suggest. thanks.

Oct 23, 2020 6:28 AM in response to laserski

Hi Dan. Where is MRT.app located? I can't find it.

Also, the Console has multiples of these:

2020-10-23 9:14:52.223 AM MRT[42922]: SecStaticCode: verification failed (trust result 7, error -2147409652)

Oops, found it, in a crash report for MRT:

Process:               MRT [42922]
Path:                  /System/Library/CoreServices/MRT.app/Contents/MacOS/MRT
Identifier:            MRT
Version:               1.68 (1)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        launchd [1]
Responsible:           MRT [42922]
User ID:               <snip>

Date/Time:             2020-10-23 09:15:35.342 -0400
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.11.6 (15G22010)
Report Version:        1159000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSRangeException', reason: '*** -[NSRegularExpression enumerateMatchesInString:options:range:usingBlock:]: Range or index out of bounds'
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called

MRT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.