Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ALL HDs say full when it shows plenty of space

All of my HDs, 1 internal and 3 external, have sent me a message that they are all full today. But when going to Disk Utility, the "parent" shows full, but the "child" does not. I have tried/done the following:

1. Rebooted the computer. (multiple times)
  2. Unplugged all HD's, unplugged.
  3. Unplugged the computer, held the power button for about 15 seconds.
  4. Ran "First Aid" and says everything is good.
  5. Plugged HD into a MacBook Air and it reads normal w/o a problem.

Running: Catalina V 10.15.7, 32 GB memory

Should also know that you might need to "dumb down" your answer/help for me. Not illiterate, but not much experience in computer work. All HD show the similar as pictured.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 2:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 3:27 AM

If the mac and Disk Utility are reporting no problems then your drives should be fine.

I thought Backblaze was a cloud storage facility so why would it be reporting on external HDs.

I would never use any third party apps to manage any disks, internal or external the mac manages disks well on its own. And never install disk manufacturer software either as this will interfere with the macs own management of the disks.

If your external disks work without issue on another mac it is not them. If the mac OS is not reporting any problems it can only come down to the third party software, but why would they report this simultaneously. Can you disable them or delete the apps and see if your macs behaviour improves.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2020 3:27 AM in response to Mike Domke

If the mac and Disk Utility are reporting no problems then your drives should be fine.

I thought Backblaze was a cloud storage facility so why would it be reporting on external HDs.

I would never use any third party apps to manage any disks, internal or external the mac manages disks well on its own. And never install disk manufacturer software either as this will interfere with the macs own management of the disks.

If your external disks work without issue on another mac it is not them. If the mac OS is not reporting any problems it can only come down to the third party software, but why would they report this simultaneously. Can you disable them or delete the apps and see if your macs behaviour improves.

Oct 22, 2020 2:20 AM in response to Mike Domke

The first screenshot shows the Disk, and it shows the Capacity of the Disk.

The second screenshot shows the Volume this shows the space used and the space free.

There is nothing wrong there.

So where is this message that says the Disks are full.

If you highlight the Disks on the Desktop and press Command- i what does the information

in General say.

Oct 22, 2020 2:40 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I received a message from "Backblaze" as well as "Google-Backup and Sync" telling me that my drive was full, my "One Drives" would no longer work either. I don't believe that I received this from any other source. So I began the process as stated above.

After the 2nd reboot, my computer then began to act weird. It froze, then crashed. Now my "One Drives" & "Backblaze" appear to be working correctly. But my "Backup and Sync" will no longer work.

Thanks for the help.

Oct 23, 2020 1:39 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for your advice and wisdom. Everything seems to be working fine now. In my mind, it appeared to be an issue with the OS. I've had a number of issues with it randomly crashing. Since it crashed yesterday and rebooted, all seems to be working normally.

I don't have any HD software installed. All drives and backup software appear to be working normally.

ALL HDs say full when it shows plenty of space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.