Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sign in to Apple ID or iCloud on devices - but devices show on Apple ID list of connected devices

I've recently bought a new iPad 8th Gen (A2270) to replace an aging iPad 2 (A1396). When setting up the new iPad I'm getting "There was an error connecting to iCloud" after entering my Apple ID and my password.

I have 2-factor enabled and a code does comes through on my old iPad and my iPhone ok. But this 2-factor only came up on the first attempt at signing in or again on first attempt after resetting the device.

If I log into Apple ID on a PC web browser, or look under Apple ID on either the old iPad or iPhone, I can see the new iPad in the list of devices but the new iPad is still asking me "Sign in to your iPad" in Settings.

If I skip setting up Apple ID, the new iPad can go on internet via Safari, but it cannot go to icloud.com; where it says "Connection Error - icloud encountered an error while trying to connect to the server".

New iPad is basically useless as I can't upload apps to use the iPad as the App Store needs the device to be looged into my Apple ID.

Also, as a secondary issue, both the old iPad and iPhone are now asking me to "Update Apple ID Settings" and when I try and enter the Apple ID password they come up with the error "Verification Failed - An unknown error occurred". Neither device can connect to icloud.com in their respective web-browsers - "Connection Error - icloud encountered an error while trying to connect to the server".

Seems some sort of 'handshake' between my device(s) and iCloud hasn't happened.

• Apple ID password has been changed as part of attempts to sort. Subsequent logging into Apple ID is fine from a PC web-browser, but I still have the same issues on my Apple devices.
  • I've tried resetting the iPad; a few times.
  • I've got a strong (3-bar) WiFi signal and fibre broadband connection to the property.
  • New iPad and iPhone have been updated to iOS 14.1

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 5:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 5:36 AM

Posting this query obviously got my creative thinking juices flowing and I've resolved the issue after a lightbulb moment and an internet search.

The problem is not with Apple device or iCloud / Apple ID but my BT Home Hub.

Something in the hub blocks icloud so to resolve I have added icloud.com to the allowed websites in the parental controls of the BT broadband.

Somehow my PC bypassed the blockage in the connection making it look like the issue was with Apple.

Link to article on BT website:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Apple-iCloud-access-on-BT-Home-Hub/td-p/1959677

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2020 5:36 AM in response to SpikeThates

Posting this query obviously got my creative thinking juices flowing and I've resolved the issue after a lightbulb moment and an internet search.

The problem is not with Apple device or iCloud / Apple ID but my BT Home Hub.

Something in the hub blocks icloud so to resolve I have added icloud.com to the allowed websites in the parental controls of the BT broadband.

Somehow my PC bypassed the blockage in the connection making it look like the issue was with Apple.

Link to article on BT website:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Apple-iCloud-access-on-BT-Home-Hub/td-p/1959677

Can't sign in to Apple ID or iCloud on devices - but devices show on Apple ID list of connected devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.