Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes no Longer Installs Apple Application Support?

I upgraded last week to iTunes 12.10.9.3 and everything appears to be running fine. But, I just noticed that during the installation/update, my old versions of Apple Application Support were removed, and newer versions were never installed. Apple Application Support is no longer listed in my installed programs either. I guess it's not needed as iTunes is running and my devices are connecting and syncing without Application support installed.

I have since had multiple people verify that the iTunes64Setup.exe for 12.10.9.3 did NOT contain an installer for Application Support. Several people I know downloaded and unpacked the .exe and did not see an msi for application support.

Was this an oversight by Apple or have they dropped Application Support? Will this cause problems when I try to update to the newer v12.10.10?

Thanks

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 9:15 AM

4 replies

Oct 22, 2020 5:04 PM in response to Brocktoon623

I wouldn't have thought so. iTunes doesn't need it. The issue with that third party developer tool is easy enough to workaround if reinstalling Apple Application Support is all that is required. Or they downgrade and run an older build if necessary. Previous iTunes installers remain available online. I've a long list posted in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates - Apple Community should anybody need them.

tt2

Oct 22, 2020 2:19 PM in response to Brocktoon623

An update for the curious ...

I got a chance to update to iTunes 12.10.10 via checking for updates in iTunes. The update ran fine and so far I'm seeing no issues syncing with my iPhone SE2020 and iPod Classic. But, Application Support did not install. So, whether by design or no, it does look like Apple Application support is no longer installed or used/needed by the newer installations of iTunes for Windows.

Oct 22, 2020 4:44 PM in response to turingtest2

Yep ... I'm not running iCould or any other apple software on my Win10 machine. I've still had Application Support (32 and 64) all the way up to iTunes 12.10.9. But I figure if 12.10.9 removed and ran without it, and now I've performed an update without any errors and the new version is running properly as well I guess it's not needed?

I noticed a few other posts related to Application Support possibly going away as well with 12.10.9. For example:

https://github.com/NativeScript/nativescript-cli/issues/5394

I'm just wondering if this will become an issue down the line ...

iTunes no Longer Installs Apple Application Support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.