Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 5,1- Can't Boot & No Keyboard After Bootcamp Win 7 Attempted Install

Pardon that I am not a whiz kid on this stuff.

Mac Pro 5,1 still running the latest update of Mavericks.

Wanted to Install Windows 7 on one of my hard drives to run some legacy hardware (microfilm scanner).

Used Bootcamp to partition a HD, had a USB stick in one of the slots and selected it adaptive software.

When the Windows 7 started setup, and I was supposed to make my selections, I found the keyboard and mouse no longer worked. Fooled with that with no result and then decided to back out by restarting the computer using the power button.

Now the computer is (apparently) still trying to start in Windows and I get a "no bootable device" message on the screen.

The keyboard STILL DOESN'T work, so I can't use the option ke to set the startup disk.

I tried resetting the SMC... no joy.

I tried to start off a bootable CD, but since the keyboard doesn't work????

I pulled all the hard drives but #1, the normal startup drive, and I still get the "no bootable..." message and the keyboard doesn't work.

I thought I might be able to zap the PRAM but since the keyboard doesn't work?????

I had partitioned a hard drive before and used the same Win7 program. Until just a little while ago, I thought I had done it on the 5,1 computer. Now I realize I had done it on my older 4,1 Mac Pro. Could this be an issue with USB 2.0 vs 3.0? If so how can I get back to normal operation?

I am desperate and in this WAY over my gray head. I will erect a shrine to anyone that can get me out of this!

Jim

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 2:35 PM

Your 2012 MP requires a physical Windows DVD to install Windows from. There should be two internal disks at the most connected to the internal SATA connectors. PCIe connected disks will cause issues.

I do not think you have to worry about the previous issues. You now know that a wired Keypad/Mouse are your best friend on this MP.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2020 2:35 PM in response to jimfromcloverdale

Your 2012 MP requires a physical Windows DVD to install Windows from. There should be two internal disks at the most connected to the internal SATA connectors. PCIe connected disks will cause issues.

I do not think you have to worry about the previous issues. You now know that a wired Keypad/Mouse are your best friend on this MP.

Oct 22, 2020 11:21 AM in response to jimfromcloverdale

On a tower MacPro, you have two possible configurations that are supported.

• Single-disk MP - contains both macOS and Windows
  • Two-disk MP - contains macOS on one disk, and Windows on a dedicated second disk formatted as MBR. This disk must be 2TiB or smaller
  • No other storage should be connected during Windows installation
  • Apple RAID is not supported by Windows

Oct 22, 2020 10:48 AM in response to jimfromcloverdale

Well, I tried something and it worked. Seems like the keyboard was particular aout WHICH USB port it was in. One I got it into the right slot, I was able to Zap the PRAM. That seemed to stop it from trying to boot off the partly installed Windows. Thnanks for your attention. Comment and suggestions on the Boot Camp into of Win 7 welcome.

Oct 22, 2020 1:03 PM in response to Loner T

You got any ideas why this might have gone wrong? I was following Boot Camp instructions from Apple that I used when I did it some years back.

I DID NOT have any of my external memory unplugged... my bad, I guess.

I found that the keyboard was plugged into a USB PCI card rather than into the hard-wired ports that came with the computer. That might have been the root problem but I am a bit gunshy to try this again until I figure out how I effed up.

Mac Pro 5,1- Can't Boot & No Keyboard After Bootcamp Win 7 Attempted Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.