Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14 Random Restarts and 0% Battery Life

Hi All - Hoping to get this in front of someone at Cupertino who can telling me what's going on with my phone.

Every since installing iOS 14, my iPhone X will randomly crash & reboot and go from showing 50%+ battery life, to 0. The display indicator at the top of the screen will show a sliver of red in the battery and not display a percentage. When plugged into power, the phone will vibrate as if its charging but the screen shows up saying "0% Charging". When the phone is in this state, it will continue to work as normal for about 3-5min and then it will crash and reboot again. I have not been able to get the phone to come back to normal in any reproducible way. Sometimes it will come back to displaying its previous battery life in a few minutes, and other times it will stay in the reboot loop and show 0% for an entire day.

The battery in the normal state says everything is operating at peak performance and the health is at 84%, but when its in the 0% state, the settings app says the battery health cannot be determined and the battery needs service.

The issue first presented with the iOS 14 public beta release 4, but it has continued to be a problem even in the official release of iOS 14. I have restored and done a fresh install of iOS 14 while setting the phone up as a new device, and the problem persists. The phone will often be completely fine for 3-5 days, and then have a day where it acts up and reboot multiple times.

I was able to get apple support to run a remote diagnosis in the 0% state and they said the diagnostic tool shot there is an undefined issue and they cant retrieve any data from the battery. But later the same day when the phone started working, I had the diagnosis run again and the tool shows that the phone checks out and everything is fine.

I took the phone into the apple store and they said they can see something is wrong with the phone, but they dont know what and they dont think a battery replacement would fix it so the only option would be to replace the entire phone to the tone of $549.

The tech at the store told me it cant be software related since the phone is still acting up after the restore, but based on the date the issue presented and the inconsistent diagnosis, I believe this is somehow related to iOS 14. Perhaps there is a hardware issue that is causing the software crashes, but the crashes started happening the day I installed the new os and have been consistent since.

I've attached some screenshots and the log from the analytics. The phone logs the crash as, "panic-full" and appends the date to the end of that. Based on the logs, it looks like the phone is expecting a response from a temperature sensor and not getting any data. This leads me to think in iOS 13 there were lines of code to deal with not getting a response from this sensor, but in iOS 14 those line were removed and the software doest know how to handle not getting a response from the sensor. (Please forgive me if this doesn't seem probable).

Can anyone tell me what may be going on? I'd appreciate any help or guidance anyone can give. Id really like to keep the phone if I can but I dont know what else to try at this point.

Thanks!

iPhone X

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 8:20 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

iOS 14 Random Restarts and 0% Battery Life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.