Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't play samples in iTunes store if searched

If I go to the iTunes store and click on one of the albums displayed there, I can play sample tracks. But if I search for an artist, it will find him/her/them but when I try to play a sample track I get a popup asking me to pay for Apple music. Is this a bug? I'll buy the album if I hear a sample and like it. The search used to be easy in iTunes store, but that's broken and now the only option is to click on iTunes store in the music app and type in the upper left. How do I search the store without running up against that bug?

iMac Pro

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 12:50 PM

Well, I click on "iTunes Store" in the left column of the music app window I get the store.

DMC, You skipped a step. You have to also click on the "iTunes Store" icon at the upper right. Look at the second figure of the guide previously linked.

5 replies

Oct 23, 2020 11:47 AM in response to ed2345

Thank you for your reply Ed. Yes, indeed I am looking in the iTunes Store, having seen a similar response to this question, which has been asked a lot. Well, I click on "iTunes Store" in the left column of the music app window I get the store. Then I can hear samples by clicking on one of the abums that the store thinks I *should* want to buy, and then on whichever tune I want to hear. It's when I use the search option in the upper left, AFTER ensuring that I'm in the store, where the problem occurs. It will find the artist I'm seeking, but then if I click to hear a sample the "Try it Free" Apple music popup appears. No matter how many times I say "Not now", it keeps popping up if I try to play a sample. This is bug-like behavior, but of course I don't know if it's a new "feature", or simply Apple music wanting me to be satisfied wth the choices it has already given me. :-(.

Oct 24, 2020 12:42 PM in response to ed2345

OK got it. Thanks for your patience with me.

Clever downgrade by Apple. What used to be one clear step now is four with a trick. If there is text in your search bar, that

icon in the upper right is gone. So (for future readers), starting with "Music" (formerly "iTunes") open,

1) Click on iTunes store in the app (lower left)

2) Clear text in the search bar

3) Click on the iTunes store icon in the upper right

4) Then type in your search term

can't play samples in iTunes store if searched

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.