Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Networked Printer

Hi,

I have a networked HP P2015 printer connected via ethernet to wifi to my Macbook Pro using Bonjour. I was able to print to this printer just last week, but when I tried to print tonight, it wouldn't work. I have tried everything I can think of: uninstall and reinstall the printer in preferences, swap cables, delete printer driver and download the HP printer driver 5.1 and install, checked for any available updates for the printer (none) and mac os (10.15.17) and nothing works. Even a simple text doc wouldn't print. It shows up in the queue, then disappears, without anything happening on at the printer.

I reinstalled the printer via IP and used a generic printer driver, and it works. But things like printing to envelopes etc are out of whack. I'd like to be able to use the actual printer driver if possible, but as of right now it seems as if its the culprit. Any one experience anything similar? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 11:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 11:07 PM

Funny enough, I was just reading a similar article and the background on HP revoking the certificate for printers. I had initially reinstalled the HP driver package when the problem first started. Just tried to print and got the infamous 'damage your computer' message others got.

Deleted both generic and HP driver versions of the printer from the preferences and reinstalled the printer driver package.

Whadayaknow, it worked!

Thanks for all your help. They updated either the driver package or the certificates on 10-24 and 10-27 according to these articles. Either way, it finally works. Thanks again. I really appreciate the help.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2020 11:07 PM in response to DiZoE

Funny enough, I was just reading a similar article and the background on HP revoking the certificate for printers. I had initially reinstalled the HP driver package when the problem first started. Just tried to print and got the infamous 'damage your computer' message others got.

Deleted both generic and HP driver versions of the printer from the preferences and reinstalled the printer driver package.

Whadayaknow, it worked!

Thanks for all your help. They updated either the driver package or the certificates on 10-24 and 10-27 according to these articles. Either way, it finally works. Thanks again. I really appreciate the help.

Oct 23, 2020 12:18 AM in response to nadolph

Hey nadolph!

Hope these articles can help out, if you haven’t exhausted them already!:

Solve printing problems on Mac:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/solve-printing-problems-on-mac-mh14002/mac

Reset the printing system:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reset-mac-printing-system-solve-a-problem-mh14001/10.15/mac/10.15

Otherwise, when you said the “printing just wouldn’t work”, how so exactly?

I’ve found many different ways to fix printing issues in the past, there are built in utilities, as well as the third party printer utilities. Depending on the symptoms, there could be a few paths to go.

Such as:

Wireless printer not connecting, in which I’ve found with dual band routers, have to make sure both the printer and Mac are connected to 2.4g or 5g etc.

Thats just an example, but if those articles don’t help, can you say specifically what’s happening? Happy to help if I can.

Oct 23, 2020 6:05 AM in response to nadolph

I can't print from any of my Macs to my network printers this AM (HP and Xerox). I can print from my iphone. I can ping and access the printer from a browser.

I think the silent updates from last night hosed printing. You can see several printer issues crop up over night in the forums (printers that works now don't, "software name" will damage your computer, network printing that won't work). And there is definitely an HP printer connection as many of the complaints are about messages concerning HP software being unsafe.

I expect more posts to follow today. I've been in IT my whole working career. I've been through the standard checks. Apple needs to fix this.

Oct 28, 2020 8:46 PM in response to DiZoE

Thanks for the suggestion. When I say it doesn't print, the print job goes thru the queue and disappears, the printer is silent: lights don't blink, fan doesn't start up, paper doesn't go thru.

But using the exact same setup, and the generic printer driver, works fine. Cant do anything special, like I said above, envelope printing is not positioning, etc, but at least it will print out a standard 8.5x11 page. Doubtful anything can really be done, since this is apparently a printer driver issue and this printer is at least 6-7 years old. It just seemed so odd it would work fine one week, then the next nothing.

HP Networked Printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.