Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my wifi connection always gets disconnected

my system is a mac os high sierra version 10.13.6

macbook air 1.8 ghz intel core i5

i always experience getting disconnected from the network even if my other devices, laptop, android phone and ps4 are still connected to the same wifi network.

i tried to reset the computer, or even press option+command+r+p during startup but this only helps for a few minutes then i get disconnected again. I also tried renewing the dhcp lease, but i still get the same results. I end up connecting to my android phone via bluetooth. apparently, i cant even connect to my android phone via wifi tethering, this computer always says i've entered the wrong password. but works fine with the bluetooth tethering.

there's just something wrong and i can't point a finger to it. why does windows, ps4 & android systems doesn't drop connection but this computer does.

thanks for whoever has the time to help

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 3:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 1:22 PM

RichardFoo User level: Level 1 (4 points)

Feb 15, 2019 4:24 PM in response to TimsTech

I've been debugging a problem with my VPN client constantly reconnecting, along with poor WiFi performance. After much digging, I came across an excellent article - although written for Yosemite and iOS8, it still seems to be relevant to Mojave, especially with a newer WiFi chip in the 2018 MacBook Pro. https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifriedx-in-depth-look-at-yosemite-wifi-and-awdl-airdrop-41a93eb22e48

The author wrote a program that essentially just issues a command and keeps it enforced. You can try it manually in a terminal window: sudo ifconfig awdl0 down

To reverse the command, type: sudo ifconfig awdl0 up

He gives a great technical explanation, so I won't repeat it here. The command disables a virtual network interface that's used for ad-hoc WiFi by features like Airdrop; I personally won't miss them. So far, I've gone from losing my connection 20 times an hour to being stable for 3+ hours.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2020 1:22 PM in response to tungaks

RichardFoo User level: Level 1 (4 points)

Feb 15, 2019 4:24 PM in response to TimsTech

I've been debugging a problem with my VPN client constantly reconnecting, along with poor WiFi performance. After much digging, I came across an excellent article - although written for Yosemite and iOS8, it still seems to be relevant to Mojave, especially with a newer WiFi chip in the 2018 MacBook Pro. https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifriedx-in-depth-look-at-yosemite-wifi-and-awdl-airdrop-41a93eb22e48

The author wrote a program that essentially just issues a command and keeps it enforced. You can try it manually in a terminal window: sudo ifconfig awdl0 down

To reverse the command, type: sudo ifconfig awdl0 up

He gives a great technical explanation, so I won't repeat it here. The command disables a virtual network interface that's used for ad-hoc WiFi by features like Airdrop; I personally won't miss them. So far, I've gone from losing my connection 20 times an hour to being stable for 3+ hours.

Nov 17, 2020 6:56 AM in response to tungaks

I'm betting on Battery or SMC problems, even if the cycle count isn't that high.

Determine battery cycle count for Mac notebooks...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

Have you done a PRAM reset, CMD+Option+p+r...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

In fact, do 3 in a row, takes a bit of time.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Oct 23, 2020 7:36 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

no, it doesn't help. i also don't know what to do with the diagnostic report. there are a bunch of files when you extract it. now i'm disconnected again. i'm in my own network, which has been for over a year now. I have always had a good connection, but this problem with the wifi of mac that keeps on dropping is once in a blue moon. this problem happened about 2 times already since i got this mac air. all of the other windows and android devices hasn't been disconnected so far. now, i'm connected via bluetooth tethering again... i have to either shutdown, wait for 30 secs then boot up, or do the option+command+r+p again after i restart. this is getting annoying.

although when i do the diagnostic test, it connects me again to the internet. by the way, there's no option to monitor my connection during the diagnostic test. i guess i just have to keep the diagnostic test open whenever i get disconnected.

Oct 23, 2020 6:35 PM in response to BDAqua

thank you. I will check this when the connection drops again. so far, after logging in today, i didn't need to start wifi diagnostics just to be connected.

at the moment, wifi diagnostics, (pressing option while your cursor is over the wifi icon) is my current workaround to the problem. if this persists, i'll try that sudo awdl0 command.

Nov 13, 2020 6:42 PM in response to BDAqua

well, after a few weeks, it works now if I select "wake for wi-fi access" on energy saver in the system preferences. before, everyday, after coming back to work, I had to always to this "wireless diagnostic" as suggested by @BobTheFisherman. But I don't have to do that now every time I turn on the mac book air, BUT the problem now is if I take out the power the wireless gets disconnected - temporarily. After a few (around 5 times) of putting the power back and taking it out. The computer seems to "understand" where the wifi is and stays connected. Now I'll try this sudo thing for the airdrop that @BDAqua suggested. I have nothing to lose anyway since I also don't use the airdrop. Let's see what happens.

Nov 16, 2020 6:54 PM in response to tungaks

So I followed @BDAqua's instruction since I have nothing to lose any way. And now my connection is stable, BUT only if I plug my power adapter. If I remove the power, I will be disconnected from the Internet, but I'm still connected to the wifi router. The "wake up wifi" on power adapter IS NOT CHECKED. So I don't really understand why connecting this macbook air to ac current would matter with my Internet connection. I'm really not complaining anymore because I understand now how to fix my Internet connection when I need it. What I don't understand is why is it doing that now, after that Sudo thing to remove the air drop function. If anyone knows and has another solution for me to try out, I'll gladly do it.

thanks for your help

Nov 17, 2020 6:15 AM in response to BDAqua

@BDAqua, cycles? I don't know. Once I remove the power cord, i get disconnected from the internet, but wifi is still connected. because my messaging apps says I need to connect to the internet. But after connecting the power, at any time, all messaging apps connect back to the internet.

This is true even if I'm streaming/using the internet at the moment i remove the power cord. my computer is at the office 24/7. so i will just unplug it when i leave and plug it back when i get back.

i plan to revert the air drop with that sudo command when i will bring my computer with me during my travels. fortunately that lockdowns hinder my business travels so it won't happen until next year i guess.

but if you have anything to keep it connected, with or without a power cord, that will help me a lot.

my wifi connection always gets disconnected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.