Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New 5G sim card with Verizon iPhone 12

I just purchased a new iPhone 12 through Apple (not Verizon).

On Verizon's website it says if purchased through Verizon, the phone will come with a pre-installed Verizon 5G sim card.

Since I purchased through Apple, not Verizon, what do I need to do since I will not have the Verizon 5G sim card?

My current phone is an iPhone 6s on the Verizon network.

Appreciate anyone's help.

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 12:39 PM

I was wondering about that, I bought a new iPhone 12 non-carrier specific but when I opened the SIM card tray to put my sim in it already had a Verizon SIM card in it. Is this normal or did someone repackage a customer exchange and sold as new to me?

7 replies

Nov 19, 2020 1:49 PM in response to jayzon80

To clarify, I bought an unlocked version of the iPhone 12 from Apple and used it to upgrade my older Verizon iPhone 6s. The new unlocked iPhone 12 from Apple did not come with a physical SIM card. It has a virtual or e-SIM card that is 5g compatible, per Verizon. So I initially took my old SIM card from the 6s and put it in my new iPhone 12 just to get on the Verizon network and begin using my new iPhone with 4G. Then I got on the phone with Verizon to activate the phone onto the new 5g network by providing requested ID info about my new phone. Alternatively Verizon can send you a new 5G SIM card although for me everything was done virtually and I now have 5G connectivity.

in summary, if you have a new iPhone 12 not purchased directly from Verizon, and you have an old Verizon SIM card:

• use old SIM card to start up new iphone
  • contact Verizon to activate new phone on 5g network. Not necessary to get a new SIM card at least in my case.

New 5G sim card with Verizon iPhone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.