Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail not working well in IOS

Email accounts from my own domain set up and work perfectly. Yahoo works perfectly. Outlook doesn’t always get all email... I double check and compare with their app. The Gmail account just falls apart. I’ve deleted and reloaded several times. It continues to add multiple folders and duplicate files (which I can’t delete) with incoming mail spread around. This problem wasn’t apparent several issues ago in IOS.

Thanks for your observation.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 9:09 AM

Thank you for your reply. I'm basing this on the overall changes that Gmail has made over the past few years with making changes to how it handled Exchange settings for Push. Now, the only way for Push to work on the iPhone is to have the paid version, which is when I moved to the app so I could retain push. I don't mind being right and wrong at the same time, I'm just sharing my best practice based on experiences, and it seems your vary, so how you work it is up to you.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2020 9:09 AM in response to 54396

Thank you for your reply. I'm basing this on the overall changes that Gmail has made over the past few years with making changes to how it handled Exchange settings for Push. Now, the only way for Push to work on the iPhone is to have the paid version, which is when I moved to the app so I could retain push. I don't mind being right and wrong at the same time, I'm just sharing my best practice based on experiences, and it seems your vary, so how you work it is up to you.

Oct 27, 2020 4:25 PM in response to 54396

Hi there 54396,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you've been having some trouble with the Mail app on your iPhone. We'll be happy to help.

You started off with a good step, removing the affected account and adding it back. You also mentioned this started after an iOS update, or worked better before updating. In that case, make sure you have a current backup and then make sure iOS is up to date: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Let's check through this resource too: If you can't receive email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Check Fetch settings, and reach out to your email provider or system admin for more assistance. Since some accounts work fine, the issue could be with the specific accounts you have added. We hope this helps.

Take Care!

Oct 27, 2020 5:40 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Well Chris you’re right and you’re wrong. I once drove a GM automobile. It was a huge steaming pile of crap. I bought a BMW and it’s heaven on Earth for 5 years now. My IOS products back to my first iPod handled Gmail just fine. I don’t think I should have to leave the family to check Gmail. Every other day or so it spawns 3 more duplicate files. Now I’m scrolling several pages to figure out where incoming mail went. As a shareholder of aapl I don’t want to see it become the GM of operating systems.

Tnx G.

Oct 27, 2020 5:58 PM in response to 54396

To a fault I’ve always been on the updates and I’ve deleted and reinstalled the account in question 3 times. I have 3 or 4 sets of all folders and messages are spread over all of them. Tomorrow there will probably be 5 inboxes.

The simplistic IMAP installation, you know... address and password, has worked flawlessly since my first iPod and iPhone3. Ios13 got flaky and 14 with updates is comical. If I didn’t believe Apple could create anything and be proud of how well it worked I wouldn’t be the shareholder I am.

This is an issue and should be solved.

Tnxx.. G

Gmail not working well in IOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.