Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why I cannot connect USB-C drive to mac mini 2018?

Purchased a La Cie rugged USB-C drive from Apple to use with my Mac mini 2018 which has 4 TB3/USB-C ports. All ports work for other devices.

However, that drive does not lit (and is not seen) when connected with the USB-C cable (it's working with the other USB to USB-C cable that comes with it thouh (USB-C side being connected on the drive of course). So drive is not at fault.

Today, I brought the drive at Apple Store - they were able to connect it to a Macbook in store USB-C to USB-C. So cable is OK !!... They suggested I disconnect power cable of the Mac for 2 minutes (the usual ''b...s...t'' to save them time and add layers...), which I did as soon as I came home. To no avail.

Before I bring back ... AND the drive AND the Mini to Apple Store, just wondered if anyone here would have suggestions for such an issue ?

(Yes I treid the drive on different ports BTW...)

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 9:00 PM

I was on 2 and 4 for the displays. Tried 1 and 3. It still does not work. Based on this, that would also mean that this $85 Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter they sell cannot allow to plug in both a HDMI display *and* a USB-C drive... Nice.

What I also note - hard to tell (again) why it worked at Apple Store: that USB-C cable does not sit deep and flush in the port. None of the port. No click. There's a limit to ''how hard'' I should push (I don't have this problem with the other ports/cables/devices.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2020 9:00 PM in response to den.thed

I was on 2 and 4 for the displays. Tried 1 and 3. It still does not work. Based on this, that would also mean that this $85 Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter they sell cannot allow to plug in both a HDMI display *and* a USB-C drive... Nice.

What I also note - hard to tell (again) why it worked at Apple Store: that USB-C cable does not sit deep and flush in the port. None of the port. No click. There's a limit to ''how hard'' I should push (I don't have this problem with the other ports/cables/devices.

Oct 23, 2020 9:23 PM in response to lanstrad1

lanstrad1 wrote:

Yea' pretty sure that the adapter does not provide enough power for both.

That makes sense. It does sound as if the drives USB-C plug is not fully seating in the iMac's port. Maybe compare the USB-C end up close with other USB-C cables that you have.

why I cannot connect USB-C drive to mac mini 2018?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.