Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I connect my iPhone to my MAC, iTunes does not recognize the iPhone and the iPhone does not show up in Finder. I can't sync or backup my iPhone.

How do I get my MAC to recognize my iPhone?

It has always done so in the past. This is a new problem.

iPhone 6s, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 8:44 AM

For iOS 12 you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required. iOS 13 & 14 require iTunes 12.8.2.3 or above.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2020 8:44 AM in response to wolfintx

For iOS 12 you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required. iOS 13 & 14 require iTunes 12.8.2.3 or above.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

Oct 28, 2020 9:14 AM in response to wolfintx

wolfintx,

Thanks for giving those steps a try.

Next, check for any security software that may be installed on the Mac, as this could be causing the iPhone to not be detected.

If you do have security software installed, remove it, restart your Mac, then try connecting your iPhone again. You'll want to make sure you uninstall the software, instead of simply disabling it.

We hope this helps.

When I connect my iPhone to my MAC, iTunes does not recognize the iPhone and the iPhone does not show up in Finder. I can't sync or backup my iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.