Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow internet despite high internet speed provider

Hi,

I am turning to the community to see if a similar issue has arisen among other users. Sorry for the interminable message.

I have a MacBook Retina 16 inch with macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Since September, my Internet provider offers me a high speed internet (up to 700Mbps).

All of my devices including the one in question worked very well, particularly with video conference (around 300Mbps).

But recently, on the MacBook Retina, video on Google Meet, Zoom and Skype started lagging. Navigating on the Internet is fine, everything seems to work but only when it comes to video it just lagged, connection is weak and then come back to normal, etc.

Everything is still fast on the other devices, no lagging when using video platforms.

I tested the speed online for my MacBook Retina and it gave way below (30-60Mpbs) what it is use to be (200-300Mbps). Depending on where we are (close to the modem Internet speed can reach 500Mbps but it is normally around 200Mbps in the office).

I call the Internet provider and after troubleshooting and assessment of very good internet, the problem remains for this device apparently.

I removed the caches, cookies and navigation data, empty the trash, etc. Still nothing changed.

I tested the ping which gave me 100% transfer with 0.0% packet loss which indicate that it's might not be a wifi problem but Internet... or device problem.

I removed the existing Wi-Fi preferences in macOS Sierra in the system configuration

(e.g. com.apple.airport.preferences.plist.

com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist) reboot the computer and nothing. Well, it gave me around around 100-200 Mbps so I thought it was it, but later in the day it came back to 30-50Mpbs.

Then, I changed the DNS to Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 Same thing, it gave me around around 100-200 Mbps for a while and came back to slow speed. I tried DNS Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 and still nothing changed.

I can't plug to the ethernet since the MacBook has no port.

I boot into safe boot and nothing.

I know wifi range can be an issue and my next step is to test a wifi booster.

Is it interference with other frequencies ? Is it the LPSS adapters I am out of idea what would cause this slow internet speed or at least unsteady speed.

Thank for your time !

MacBook

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 3:53 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Oct 25, 2020 8:56 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for this !

• Here is attached
  • the report of EtreCheck it's in French so I translated it. It might not be 100% accurate.

• I also ran the First Aid and nothing seems problematic.

• I checked the RSSI (-51dBm) and Noise (-96dBm), what does that mean exactly ?
  • The Wifi troubleshooting shows nothing problematic
  • I have rebooted the router many times and the laptop as well.

Still the speed is around 30-40mbps.

Oct 23, 2020 9:57 PM in response to Guidur

Get a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter to test the laptop using WiFi.

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Also run Disk Utility First Aid on the SSD. I would even recommend running it on the Container as well. Even if First Aid shows everything is "Ok" you should click on "Show Details" and check to make sure there are no unfixed errors.

If you Option-click or Right-click on the WiFi icon on the menu bar you can see what the signal (RSSi) and noise levels are plus which WiFi protocol is being used and the Transmit Rate. You can also access the Apple Wireless Troubleshooting app from this menu as well.

Have you rebooted the router followed by rebooting the laptop?

Oct 25, 2020 5:34 PM in response to Guidur

Run EtreCheck again now that CMM is uninstalled and post the new report leaving it in French since the previous report was incomplete. We should still be able to make out the software that is installed even if we cannot read French.

If the new EtreCheck report doesn't show anything else it may be time for you to perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical drive before re-installing macOS. Test the system without installing any third party apps or restoring/migrating from a backup. Just make sure to have a good backup before erasing the drive. If you have a spare USB drive, then you could try installing macOS to the external drive and booting from it keeping in mind an external boot drive will perform slower than the internal SSD. I highly recommend you create a bootable macOS USB installer just so you have options if Internet Recovery Mode doesn't work to restore the OS.

Do you have other computers or is this the only one you can test your Internet Connection? Do the other computers perform as expected? If you have other computers, then maybe you can simplify the testing a bit by testing the transfer rates between the two computers on your home network so you eliminate the very uncertain Internet & ISP. You really need to determine if your issue is local (laptop or LAN) or if it is ISP or Internet.

Oct 24, 2020 8:53 AM in response to Guidur

Additional to HWTech's premise considerations, there may be other issues within your Internet provider's own network, including failing, or misconfigured devices, or in the Internet infrastructure beyond your ISP, that are impacting your perception of a slow Internet.

Have you spoken with your ISP support to see if they can look at their connection up to their premise device at your location, and verify that there is no hardware, or network problem for which they are responsible?

Oct 25, 2020 1:02 PM in response to Guidur

Guidur wrote:
I checked the RSSI (-51dBm) and Noise (-96dBm), what does that mean exactly ?

The RSSI is your signal strength. On average, if you have -30dBm you have a VERY STRONG SIGNAL. And anything getting close to -72dBm or weaker is so lousy, it is unlikely you can receive anything.

Noise is how much interference is happening (for example, a Microwave oven, a cordless phone using 2.4GHz, the neighbors Wi-Fi, etc...) A value of -96dBm is basically No noise. Generally noise that is -72dBm or weaker is good.

If your noise is stronger than your signal, that would be bad.

RSSI -51dBm is actually very good. as is Noise -96dBm.

You have a good WiFi signal, and no interference.

Oct 26, 2020 11:01 AM in response to Guidur

The other thing that would limit your speed is if the account downloaded more than your ISP allows for monthly maximum usage, and they throttled your bandwidth for the remainder of the current billing period.

Even though your ISP says that things look good up to their premise equipment at your location, that does not enlighten further on the bandwidth from their domain onto the Internet. And you particular mentioned the video conferencing sites earlier, that may simply be swamped with increased video demand from quarantined home and business users.

Slow internet despite high internet speed provider

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.