Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 12 128G, not enough space to transfer from iphone XR 64G

I just got my new iphone 12 128G.

I'm trying to use the phone to phone transfer feature to transfer data from my iphone XR 64GB

But it keeps complaining "Transfer Failed. Not enough storage to copy data from other device"

Whats up with this?

Anyone solved this?

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 3:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 10:49 PM

This has not been solved, Apple claims that with the latest software update for iOS this should have been fixed, but it wasn't for me. Here is what I did

1. Chose important things from the old iPhone XR that needed to be transferred, e.g. contacts, reminders, notes, Photos, videos etc.
  2. Then performed an iCloud back up. Photos/Videos won't fit in the 5G iCloud, so Only included contacts, reminders, notes and other things that had lower memory footprint.
  3. Used my mac to back up large data like Photos/Videos which were 20GB
  4. Setup the iPhone 12 using the iCloud back up from step 2.
  5. At this point the new iPhone 12 was setup with everything except Photos/Videos.
  6. Used the Mac to transfer them to iPhone 12 from step 3.

This was very cumbersome process, very disappointed in apple, that they still haven't resolved the issue.

Latest health app is really bad.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 10:49 PM in response to akashonly25

This has not been solved, Apple claims that with the latest software update for iOS this should have been fixed, but it wasn't for me. Here is what I did

1. Chose important things from the old iPhone XR that needed to be transferred, e.g. contacts, reminders, notes, Photos, videos etc.
  2. Then performed an iCloud back up. Photos/Videos won't fit in the 5G iCloud, so Only included contacts, reminders, notes and other things that had lower memory footprint.
  3. Used my mac to back up large data like Photos/Videos which were 20GB
  4. Setup the iPhone 12 using the iCloud back up from step 2.
  5. At this point the new iPhone 12 was setup with everything except Photos/Videos.
  6. Used the Mac to transfer them to iPhone 12 from step 3.

This was very cumbersome process, very disappointed in apple, that they still haven't resolved the issue.

Latest health app is really bad.

Dec 3, 2020 12:05 PM in response to akashonly25

[SOLVED]: I was experiencing the very same issue, whereas my new iPhone 12 Pro Max- 128gb had no space after restoring from my iCloud back up. My previous phone is a iPhone XS Max- 256gb, and I have 2TB of iCloud storage but my new iPhone 12 Pro Max didn’t have enough space while transferring data. You need to Download and Install iOS 14.2.1 (latest iOS) in order to fix this bug issue. Here’s what to do:

1) On previous iPhone- back up phone via iCloud

2)(on new device) Reset iPhone 12 Pro: settings>general>reset> erase all content and settings. Confirm by entering passcode.

3) Once iphone restarts- go through setup process again for iPhone 12 Pro, but this time setup as NEW PHONE. Do not restore from a backup (you will do this later in the steps).

4) Breeze through the setup process and skip through Face ID setup, skip Apple Pay setup, skip Apple ID login and click “set up later”.

5) Once you are in the phone and have bypassed the setup process- Go to Settings>General> Software Update> Update iPhone 12 Pro Max to iOS 14.2.1 (latest iOS)

6) Install iOS 14.2.1. After installing the new iOS software- Reset device again.

7) settings>general>reset> erase all content and settings. Confirm by entering passcode.

8) Once iphone restarts- go through setup process again for iPhone 12 Pro, this time restore from iCloud backup and previous iphone.

9) Complete the setup process by actually completing everything, including Face ID, Apple Pay, and other settings.

10) After your iphone finishes restoring from iCloud, you will have available storage!! Go to settings to check under General> iPhone Storage. You will see that you’re photos and other large apps are now accurate and the bug issue is fixed.

This worked for me, and hopefully it helps you too!

iphone 12 128G, not enough space to transfer from iphone XR 64G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.