Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Easy Scan and HP Utility No Longer Work on my iMac since upgrade to macOS 10.15.7

I have successfully used a HP ENVY 7155 printer and associated software without problems for the past couple of years. Suddenly the HP Easy Scan and HP Utility apps no longer open and have a "because of a problem" notification on a window that comes up on my iMac screen. Probably no coincidence that I just upgraded to macOS 10.15.7 a few days ago. I particularly miss the scan function which works particularly well.

Does anyone else have this problem? Do you have a suggested fix?

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 9:03 PM

Good suggestion. I have done that, and they do recommend HP Smart. No mention of the other issues I mentioned. Looks like I may be able to recover support functions and scanning using that. I still want to pursue using Easy Scan (from App Store) by reinstalling, as it is a very good app. Thanks.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2020 9:03 PM in response to Kappy

Good suggestion. I have done that, and they do recommend HP Smart. No mention of the other issues I mentioned. Looks like I may be able to recover support functions and scanning using that. I still want to pursue using Easy Scan (from App Store) by reinstalling, as it is a very good app. Thanks.

Oct 23, 2020 8:07 PM in response to jimpal

Apple didn't do anything. HP is at fault for not providing an upgraded driver that is compatible with 10.15.7. I suggest you take my last suggestion and contact HP tech support. HP may no longer be supporting the device, in which case you will need to buy a different printer/scanner. You might also try VueScan as I suggested earlier.

Oct 23, 2020 7:56 PM in response to Kappy

There is a newer version of Easy Scan in the Apple App Store. I installed it, and still doesn’t work. When I open it, a window opens saying “this will damage your computer.” And also doesn’t do anything else for scanning. What’s up? Seems to have been caused by 10.15.7 update. Also, no replacement for HP Utility can be found. Looks like HP is migrating that to the HP Smart app. All of this uncovered by installing 10.15.7 Upgrade. What did apple to do suddenly cause my two old reliable apps to stop working?

Oct 23, 2020 8:27 PM in response to jimpal

Thanks for your helpful comments, but there still is a mystery, and here’s why I think that:

a. There is no printer driver problem. The printer still works, and HP has updated the driver recently.

b. I downloaded a new version of Easy Scan from Apple’s App Store, and it’s the one which doesn’t work, and says it will damage my computer if I use it. Wouldn’t you think a program from the App Store would be compatible with 10.15.7?

c. It looks like HP must have phased out their HP Utility app, and replaced it with an all-purpose app called HP Smart. Only became obvious with 10.15.7.

So, my remaining mystery is why the HP Easy Scan app freshly downloaded from the App Store doesn’t work. I will try an uninstall and reinstall to see if I can fix that.

Oct 24, 2020 3:04 PM in response to jimpal

I carried out the above strategy and all works now, after hours of screwing around and trying to find out how processes that have worked for years have suddenly become so weird this week. I thought I would report what I did here in case it might be helpful to anyone else who has these problems.

I uninstalled the previous HP Utility and HP Easy Scan apps, and removed their files from the Library file as well. Then went to the HP site, added the HP Smart app, Easy Start app, and redid computer firmware to boot. Then things started to work, but with another weird thing. When I would try to print or scan, the computer would identify files that would "damage" the computer and refuse to proceed. I deleted those files one by one. Now, it seems all is back to normal with printing and scanning.

This all came about for me just after macOS10.15.7 update this week. Apparently it isn't compatible with older (a few years) HP apps. While I agree this isn't Apple's fault, I do think it would have been nice if HP had alerted all of us and simply told us to reload newer versions of their apps. Would have saved me a lot of time. Too much to expect, I guess.

Interestingly, my iOS devices (iPad) still work fine with no interruption. I'm liking iOS better than macOS all the time.

HP Easy Scan and HP Utility No Longer Work on my iMac since upgrade to macOS 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.