Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air/Pr 13" - 2 external displays

Hi,

I'm about to buy a MacBook 13" (not sure Air or Pro yet), however, been a bit worried about connecting 2 external monitors (2x 1080p). According to technical data it should be possible, however, I'm not sure, whether it will be possible via Thunderbolt/USB-C dock (e.g. https://i-tec.cz/en/produkt/c31nanodockpropd-2/ ). They mentioned on the description that:

macOS does not support Multi Stream Transport (MST) technology. Connecting two monitors to the station on macOS will result in both monitors showing the same image.

I've read some discussions on internet (mostly a bit old) that it is true that I cannot connect 2 external monitors via single Thunderbolt/USB-C docking station.

So, is that correct? Will I need one docking station to the first MacBook USB-C port (for 1x external display, keyboard, mouse, LAN) and some reduction USB-C -> DisplayPort to the second USB-C port on MacBook?

Thanks,

Jakub

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 8:54 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 24, 2020 10:22 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Sure, it's not my goal to buy the cheapest. I need something that work. We have always 2 Fujitsu monitors, each of them has DisplayPort, DVI and VGA, so there is no chance to daisy-chaine them.

So what should I be looking for on the docking station to support 2 external displays (separated desktops)? If I wouldn't read the note from the i-Tac manufacturer about the MST, I would't care and buy something. Now I'm a bit worried to spend 150 EUR on some dock, which might not work as I expect...

Macbook Air/Pr 13" - 2 external displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.