Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Multiple Monitors to 2017 MacBook Air

I'm trying to connect my 2017 MacBook Air (work issued computer) to dual monitors, with an extended display across my laptop and the two monitors so I can view multiple applications and files at the same time. To do it, I purchased a docking station. A USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) docking station to be more specific, since those are the only ones that seem to be available. The only output ports I have on my MacBook Air are USB and a Thunderbolt 2 outport so I purchased the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter along with an Apple Thunderbolt 2 extension cord. However, when I connect to the docking station my computer doesn't read the two monitors. Plugged in separately, the computer picks up each monitor. Does the adapter not really work or is will a 2017 MacBook Air not actually connect to a docking station? The docking station says it's Mac compatible.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 6:40 PM

Your Mac supports only one external display (at up to 4K). To drive two, you need a 2018 or later MacBook Air, or a MacBook Pro.

Also, you can’t use a TB3 dock with a TB2 Mac – that adapter is to connect a TB2 peripheral to a TB3 Mac, not the reverse.

Similar questions

3 replies

Connecting Multiple Monitors to 2017 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.