Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos and videos missing in Photos.app

Im my photos "library" many photos and videos are missing. Some of them i can see in a shared album but many are still missing. I use iCloud photos. Also in the Media Types album "videos" i have only like 88 videos. Shouldn't there be all videos? I did not delete the missing items. Is the Photos.app on iOS and macOS messed up by using iCloud? This is the same in iCloud on web and on all my Apple devices. It does not seem to be dependent on a specific iOS or macOS version. How can i fix this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 12:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 12:23 AM

Hey realMacMark!

Good question. Without probing too much further:

It sounds like iCloud Photos is turned on in “Photos > Preferences > iCloud”, is that right?

Also, since it sounds like your iCloud storage is okay, (Assuming), checking the available free storage on your Mac is a good way to isolate a cause, if you haven’t already:

Apple > About This Mac > Storage.

With Photos open, if you click on “Photos” on the top menu, then “Preferences”, “General”, is the option for “Use as system library” greyed out, or selectable? If selectable, then it’s not your default library, if not, then it is.

iCloud will only sync with the default, designated Photos Library:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204414

If it’s not set as the System Library, then iCloud won’t sync with it. I’m not sure if this is the case, but if you have more than one library, this is also a good thing to check.

Hope that helps, otherwise happy to help if I can!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2020 12:23 AM in response to realMacMark

Hey realMacMark!

Good question. Without probing too much further:

It sounds like iCloud Photos is turned on in “Photos > Preferences > iCloud”, is that right?

Also, since it sounds like your iCloud storage is okay, (Assuming), checking the available free storage on your Mac is a good way to isolate a cause, if you haven’t already:

Apple > About This Mac > Storage.

With Photos open, if you click on “Photos” on the top menu, then “Preferences”, “General”, is the option for “Use as system library” greyed out, or selectable? If selectable, then it’s not your default library, if not, then it is.

iCloud will only sync with the default, designated Photos Library:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204414

If it’s not set as the System Library, then iCloud won’t sync with it. I’m not sure if this is the case, but if you have more than one library, this is also a good thing to check.

Hope that helps, otherwise happy to help if I can!

Oct 25, 2020 1:25 AM in response to realMacMark

Hey again! I see, thanks for the info.

It could be the library is corrupted, you could create a new Photos Library, and test with that library, or even create a new Admin account and sign in to test, and safe boot may also be a good way to isolate the cause.

But most likely, the library just needs to be repaired:

How to use the Photos Library repair tool:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204967

In short, (If you haven’t done this already), Quit Photos, and relaunch holding Command and Option, and choose the option to repair.

It could be one of those weird, selective bugs that seemingly has no rhyme or reason, I think that’s a good step though, I usually make a backup first, but either way hope that helps out!

Oct 25, 2020 12:39 AM in response to DiZoE

“Photos > Preferences > iCloud” is on. The “Use as system library” is greyed out. I have on my Macs enough free space on disk. On iCloud Storage i have 1,77 TB available.

It is independent from device (iPhone, iPad, various Macs) and operating system versions (iOS 13, 14, macOS Big Sur or previous non beta release versions). I have this problem since a while and at first i did not pay much attention because i assumed the items would be in one of the automatic albums or so.

Oct 25, 2020 8:52 PM in response to realMacMark

Gotcha. So the missing photos don’t show anywhere? Also not in the Camera Roll or Photos, or iCloud.com? Apologize I thought they were in the main Photos category just not grouped into “Videos”.

In that case do you have a Time Machine backup? Or even an iOS backup? (Either on your Mac or in iCloud)

You May have already looked at “Recently Deleted” if not, that’s a good place to check.

I know with the “Shared” Album, if you didn’t create it yourself, those photos need to be told to download onto your device, if not are otherwise downloadable if there.

Its a stretch, but also at iCloud.com, do any of the photos show in Photos > Recently Deleted, or even in iCloud Drive > Recently Deleted?

You can also restore archives of files in Account Settings > Restore Files, these would be mostly iCloud Drive documents, Contacts, etc, (Some people do store photos here, even full Photos Libraries (Probably by accident).

Anyhow if they don’t show anywhere there I hope you had a backup going if an entire year is missing from all devices, all the best.

Photos and videos missing in Photos.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.